From: Patricia Aldoraz on
On Aug 1, 7:40 am, Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Suppose that you are confronted with a barrel full of apples some of
> which are rotten and others of which are not. Usually there will be
> some sign or mark by which you can tell the rotten apples from the
> good ones. The rotten apples will be brown of soft, or they will have
> some other visible defect by which you can detect their condition. On
> the other hand, the good apples will be firm,red, and otherwise appear
> desirable. We suppose we can tell the difference between a good apple
> and a rotten one because we have signs to guide us.
>
> However, suppose we are confronted with a barrel of apples that are
> quite indistinguishable in appearance, though some of the apples are
> rotten at the core. We are now presented with an apple from this
> barrel and prohibited from cutting it open. In this predicament, if
> someone should ask us whether the apple is rotten or good, the only
> thing to reply is, "I don't know" We might add, "There is no way to
> tell."
>
> ...when a belief [about the core issue] is true, this is more a matter
> of good luck than good sense. Of course, no belief that turns out to
> be true as a matter of luck can reasonably be counted as knowledge.

What is your point?
From: bigfletch8 on
On Aug 1, 5:49 am, Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2:44 pm, Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...(a)uta.fi> wrote:
>
> > Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> > > Suppose that you are confronted with a barrel full of apples some of
> > > which are rotten and others of which are not.
>
> > Suppose not. But what does any of this have to do with mathematical
> > logic?
>
> Logical possibility, impossibility, necessity and the justification
> for deductive logic generally. It has much to do with mathematical
> logic. Do you miss John Jones or something? Me to.
>

> > --
> > Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensi...(a)uta.fi)
>
> > "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"
> >   - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus- Hide quoted text -

One similarity being, you can have fun with both, while getting
nowhere.

BOfL
From: bigfletch8 on
On Aug 1, 7:15 am, Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2:50 pm, Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...(a)uta.fi> wrote:
>
> > Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> > >Do you miss John Jones or something? Me to.
>
> > Well, no, I don't. I was, in effect, just noting that your tedious
> > little essays have at best a very tenuous connection to logic as a
> > technical field.
>
> I am doing much reading on "research methodology" which is based
> mainly upon inductive logic, is that a subject for sci.logic. If you
> have read Copi's Introduction to Logic as many years as I have in its
> various editions, when the symbolic logic comes to an end, the final
> third of the book is about inductive logic, analogy, probability and
> theoretical aspects of the scientific method. I just figured that
> anything in that book is acceptable especially in sci.logic. From you
> now I get the impression that when in here we should focus upon
> symbolic logic.
>

> > --
> > Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensi...(a)uta.fi)
>
> > "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen"
> >   - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for confirming my last point.

BOfL
From: bigfletch8 on
On Aug 1, 9:27 am, Sir Frederick Martin <mmcne...(a)fuzzysys.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:11:54 -0700 (PDT), sarge <greasethew...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On 31 Juli, 23:40, Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Suppose that you are confronted with a barrel full of apples some of
> >> which are rotten and others of which are not. Usually there will be
> >> some sign or mark by which you can tell the rotten apples from the
> >> good ones. The rotten apples will be brown of soft, or they will have
> >> some other visible defect by which you can detect their condition. On
> >> the other hand, the good apples will be firm,red, and otherwise appear
> >> desirable. We suppose we can tell the difference between a good apple
> >> and a rotten one because we have signs to guide us.
>
> >> However, suppose we are confronted with a barrel of apples that are
> >> quite indistinguishable in appearance, though some of the apples are
> >> rotten at the core. We are now presented with an apple from this
> >> barrel and prohibited from cutting it open. In this predicament, if
> >> someone should ask us whether the apple is rotten or good, the only
> >> thing to reply is, "I don't know" We might add, "There is no way to
> >> tell."
>
> >> ...when a belief [about the core issue] is true, this is more a matter
> >> of good luck than good sense. Of course, no belief that turns out to
> >> be true as a matter of luck can reasonably be counted as knowledge.
>
> >> Philosophical Problems and Arguments: An Introduction
> >> by James W. Cornman, Keith Lehrer, George Sotiros Pappashttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0872201244/http://tinyu...
>
> >Dolphins would be able to tell the difference between the apples, I
> >would guess by the different ways they 'sound'..
>
> How about dogs with fantastic olfactory instrumentation.
> The apples obviously 'smell' different. Sit for 'bad' apples.
> Canines have no 'color' vision. They evolved olfaction
> for food testing, among other things. The 'higher' apes
> evolved the 'color' vision thing, for similar purposes.
> Which is better?- Hide quoted text -

When you have no taste, it wouldnt matter. Some of the best
nutritional substances dont look or smell too good.

BOfL
From: Sir Frederick Martin on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 20:00:49 -0700 (PDT), "bigfletch8(a)gmail.com" <bigfletch8(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>When you have no taste, it wouldnt matter. Some of the best
>nutritional substances dont look or smell too good.

To what? (and whom?)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: "The Universe"