From: Binglong X on
Hello folks,

I am not sure if this was brought up before, but this language is quite
interesting when compared to C++ (and others such as C, C#, Java):
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html

The comparison:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html

From: Gennaro Prota on
On 17 Nov 2006 14:29:44 -0500, Binglong X wrote:

>Hello folks,
>
>I am not sure if this was brought up before, but this language is quite
>interesting when compared to C++ (and others such as C, C#, Java):
>http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html
>
>The comparison:
>http://www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html

Mumble mumble mods... how are we supposed to reply here? :-) There's
no question, just a general opinion. Perhaps that we only like C++ and
assembly? :-O

{ One fruitful avenue of discussion might be how to emulate the pure D
features in current C++, or how some of these features could or will be
supported in the C++0x language or its standard library. -mod/aps }

--
Gennaro Prota
[To mail me, remove any 'u' from the provided address]

From: Jack Klein on
On 17 Nov 2006 14:29:44 -0500, "Binglong X" <binglongx(a)gmail.com>
wrote in comp.lang.c++.moderated:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am not sure if this was brought up before, but this language is quite
> interesting when compared to C++ (and others such as C, C#, Java):
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html
>
> The comparison:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html

1. Yes, it has been brought up before.

2. It was off-topic then, and it is still off-topic now.

This group discusses the C++ language. Not the relative merits (in
someone's mind) of C++ versus X, regardless of whether X is COBOL,
FORTRAN, Forth, Ada, or anything else, except C.

Try comp.programming if you want to discuss the relative merits of
different languages.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

From: Bo Persson on
Gennaro Prota wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2006 14:29:44 -0500, Binglong X wrote:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I am not sure if this was brought up before, but this language is
>> quite interesting when compared to C++ (and others such as C, C#,
>> Java): http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html
>>
>> The comparison:
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html
>
> Mumble mumble mods... how are we supposed to reply here? :-) There's
> no question, just a general opinion. Perhaps that we only like C++
> and assembly? :-O
>
> { One fruitful avenue of discussion might be how to emulate the
> pure D features in current C++, or how some of these features could
> or will be supported in the C++0x language or its standard library.
> -mod/aps }

We have tried that before, but as the designer of the D language believes
that we should compare core language only, and that features already
implemented in the C++ library doesn't count, this avenue hasn't been very
fruitful.

Some of us, who are not compiler writers, actually see a great advantage in
being able to add library features.

Bo Persson

From: James Kanze on
Gennaro Prota wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2006 14:29:44 -0500, Binglong X wrote:

> >I am not sure if this was brought up before, but this language is quite
> >interesting when compared to C++ (and others such as C, C#, Java):
> >http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html

> >The comparison:
> >http://www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html

> Mumble mumble mods... how are we supposed to reply here? :-)

Maybe you're not. Not every posting needs a response.

I'll admit that as a moderator, I would have rejected it, on the
grounds that it is really an announcement, and D isn't something
new, meriting a new announcement---anyone who regularly reads
this group is aware of its existance, knows something about it's
relationship to C++, and above all, knows how to find
information about it if he wants.

If I didn't know Walter to be a man of impeachable integrity,
I'd suspect him of putting the OP up to it, in order to get more
exposure.

> There's
> no question, just a general opinion. Perhaps that we only like C++ and
> assembly? :-O

> { One fruitful avenue of discussion might be how to emulate the pure D
> features in current C++, or how some of these features could or will be
> supported in the C++0x language or its standard library. -mod/aps }

Do we really want another endless discussion on garbage
collection? I suggest that we put it off until someone has
something new to say, that isn't just a repetition of what we
said the last time around. (That doesn't mean that I'm against
garbage collection---just against endless discussions that don't
change anyone's mind.)

--
James Kanze (Gabi Software) email: james.kanze(a)gmail.com
Conseils en informatique orient?e objet/