From: Joe Leavy on
Hi All,
Again, this is in a test enviroment. After instslling AD on my new DC I now
find POP3 not working.

The POP3 service failed to start because:
The Process terminated unexpectedly

In the event logs > Application:

The Microsoft POP3 service dtopped with error code 203.

I have searched the web, but have been unable to find a consistant answer.
Anyone got any ideas??

Also, where would you start looking if you were faced with the same error? I
think I'm looking in the wrong place in the micrisift web site, so I'm
looking for reserch tips etc..

From: lowdes on
Did you install Exchange on that DC?
If you don't use the POP3 service I would just disable it.

From: Joe Leavy on
No,
Exchange is not installed.

As I say, I'm testing only, but I'd like to find out what's causing this
error, how to research it, and how to fix...

//Joe (Dublin)

From: LnkWizard on

> No,
> Exchange is not installed.
>

> As I say, I'm testing only, but I'd like to find out what's causing this
> error, how to research it, and how to fix...

I suggest going to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and entering the
error code, or try MS Technet site and try the error code there.
Sometimes you have to get a bit creative when entering the
information to get a good response so try permutations of the
software, process, and error code and see if the responses are what
you are after.

Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

http://www.mcngp.com

From: kpg on
Joe Leavy <NOSPAM-joe(a)newgrove.ie> said something like

> # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\176015.htm (10/27/2005
> 4:33:56 PM) # Hi All,
> Again, this is in a test enviroment. After instslling AD on my new DC
> I now find POP3 not working.
>
> The POP3 service failed to start because:
> The Process terminated unexpectedly
>
> In the event logs > Application:
>
> The Microsoft POP3 service dtopped with error code 203.
>

> I have searched the web, but have been unable to find a consistant
> answer. Anyone got any ideas??
>
> Also, where would you start looking if you were faced with the same
> error? I think I'm looking in the wrong place in the micrisift web
> site, so I'm looking for reserch tips etc..

This error can occured when the POP3 port is set
incorrectly (say, to the same a SMTP).

Recheck everything carefully.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2