From: Rupert Swarbrick on
Teemu Likonen <tlikonen(a)iki.fi> writes:
> * 2010-03-09 11:25 (+0100), Petter Gustad wrote:
>> Do you have any particular reason why you want to use CLISP and not
>> SBCL if you're on Linux? If not I would suggest using SBCL.
> Maybe I'll switch to SBCL but I'm pretty sure that some other areas suck
> in SBCL. Maybe some other libraries won't work.

Hmm, maybe. But sbcl is probably the most popular free lisp
implementation going. It's also very actively developed. Other than a
(in my opinion) slightly over-zealous interpretation of defconstant,
I've not found any wrinkles in several years using it.

Rupert
From: Petter Gustad on
Teemu Likonen <tlikonen(a)iki.fi> writes:

> with #!/usr/bin/clisp (out-of-the-box) and there is this nice readline
> support automatically, even with (read-line *query-io*).

SBCL does not have default readline support, but if you're a Emacs
user you will probably operate SBCL from SLIME anyway, where you have
readline and completion features in the REPL buffer.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Teemu Likonen on
* 2010-03-09 12:55 (+0100), Petter Gustad wrote:

> SBCL does not have default readline support, but if you're a Emacs
> user you will probably operate SBCL from SLIME anyway, where you have
> readline and completion features in the REPL buffer.

I do use Emacs and SLIME but, in CLISP, readline's command-line editing
is available in program's prompts too. I think that's very important.
From: Teemu Likonen on
* 2010-03-09 11:51 (UTC), Tamas K. Papp wrote:

> Note that SBCL can also run scripts

Good. Unfortunately the "--script" option is not available in SBCL
version 1.0.18 which is packaged for Debian 5.0. But I'll write a simple
launcher script.

> If you readline support, chances are that you are making your life
> more difficult than it should be (hint: use SLIME), but rlwrap will
> give it to you in SBCL.

I use SLIME but I'd also like my simple program's have a nice line
editing. I'm not fan of those ^[[D^[[C^[[C^[[A^[[D codes in my terminal
when I use arrow keys in programs' prompts.

> Anyway, trying out different implementations is not that big of a deal
> in CL, so I don't really see why you didn't just try instead of
> complaining before you do.

Well, I'm a beginner and I think it's an annoyance. None of my simple
programs worked out-of-the-box with SBCL. But maybe I could think of it
as a learning experience...
From: Erik Winkels on
On 2010-03-09, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen(a)iki.fi> wrote:

> Good. Unfortunately the "--script" option is not available in SBCL
> version 1.0.18 which is packaged for Debian 5.0. But I'll write a simple
> launcher script.

Grab an updated SBCL from Debian testing or unstable. It doesn't have
many dependencies.

> Well, I'm a beginner and I think it's an annoyance. None of my simple
> programs worked out-of-the-box with SBCL. But maybe I could think of it
> as a learning experience...

Definitely :-)

Once you get up to speed in CL it should be pretty painless moving your code
between major implementations.