From: John Kelly on

The daemon helper, dh is its name.

It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
daemon, then gets out of the way.

Yes I know there are various others. But this is one I wrote, and I
gave it an Apache license.

If you don't like the name "dh" for whatever reason, you can patch the
Makefile and source to give it whatever name you like. Perhaps "dprime"
(daemon primer), or "dp" for a short name.

This thing seems to really inflame some people. Funny that.

ftp://ftp.beewyz.com/users/jar/etcetera/computer/programming/project/dh/

Notice it can wrap shell commands and start them like a daemon, thus on
topic. If you like some other tool better, use your favorite. It works
for me.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Seebs on
On 2010-06-15, John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:
> The daemon helper, dh is its name.

IT'S BACK!

> Yes I know there are various others. But this is one I wrote, and I
> gave it an Apache license.

And yet, you've mostly ignored criticisms of various flaws with it.

> This thing seems to really inflame some people. Funny that.

Not the thing, your behavior in respect to it.

> Notice it can wrap shell commands and start them like a daemon, thus on
> topic.

Had he not spammed Ruby, C, and awk forums with this thing, I would be
MUCH more inclined to consider these posts topical. As is, it's just an
advertisement for a badly-written near-implementation of something which
has been available for years under less restrictive terms.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net