From: avarg3 on
I'm having trouble installing the new updates for office 2003. I've read a
number of replies to people with similar problems but their work arounds have
not worked in my case. The ose service is set on manual and running. When I
run the command "sc qc ose" from the comand prompt I get this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>sc qc ose
DOS/32A -- Protected Mode Run-time Version 7.2
Copyright (C) Supernar Systems, Ltd. 1996-2002
SC/32A fatal: DOS/32A environment variable is not set up properly
You need to reinstall DOS/32 Advanced DOS Extender on this computer

How do I go about fixing this problem?

Thanks in advance.

From: psi on
Infact, what are sugguested work arrounds other than reinstall of office?
I am getting same exception but when i execute: sc qc ose i get following:

[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: ose
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 3 DEMAND_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\Source Engine\OSE.EXE"
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Office Source Engine
DEPENDENCIES :
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

Thanks,

From: Graham on
Try looking at Knowleage base artical 884298 @
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884298
This help me recover from this error after I had run a REG clean program
which removed part of the info required to update.
Regards Graham

From: avarg3 on
You rock!!!!!! The support page you listed did the trick. Now I can turn back
on the automatic updates. Thanks again.