From: WTShaw on
That some in this group still feel insecure in encryptive processes
may seem to sidetrack us from difficulties from competitions of
different platforms. Just text is an easy hurdle and simple reading
does not require all the bells and whistles that complex formats
sometimes use.

Keeping things simple means allowing limited universal formats on as
many devices as possible with the end result of interest here that an
encrypted cipher text generated on one certain device should be
decipherable using any other type of platform because certain such
transcendental functions should not only be suggested, they should be
demanded and mandatory.

Do more, not less, include simple and a few standard formats plus
whatever else might turn your audience on but don't become a slave to
planned obsolescence, primitive word-wrap notwithstanding as being not
acceptable on modern computers since 1984. How MS does text
formatting is insane but can be overcome with klugs and standing on
your head...not a proud legacy Mr. Gates. Yes, I do I understand
Wordpad, a prejudiced little toy that pretends to be essential.
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
WTShaw wrote:

> Keeping things simple means allowing limited universal formats on as
> many devices as possible with the end result of interest here that an
> encrypted cipher text generated on one certain device should be
> decipherable using any other type of platform because certain such
> transcendental functions should not only be suggested, they should be
> demanded and mandatory.

Could you let us share your knowledge of the incompatibility issue?
I couldn't yet conceive of problems, if material in hexades is
transferred with conversion to txt files between arbitrary different
computer systems.

M. K. Shen

From: WTShaw on
On Jan 26, 10:18 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> WTShaw wrote:
> > Keeping things simple means allowing limited universal formats on as
> > many devices as possible with the end result of interest here that an
> > encrypted cipher text generated on one certain device should be
> > decipherable using any other type of platform because certain such
> > transcendental functions should not only be suggested, they should be
> > demanded and mandatory.
>
> Could you let us share your knowledge of the incompatibility issue?
> I couldn't yet conceive of problems, if material in hexades is
> transferred with conversion to txt files between arbitrary different
> computer systems.
>
> M. K. Shen

One big problem is in formatting...line feed, new line, and return
with different hex codes for each of these. Historic Macintosh for
instance requires only such character(s) at the end of each
paragraphs, and extra for blank lines. The old application Simple Text
did this but could not handle files longer than about 32K. The assumed
rtf compatible current application TextEdit is an advance over Simple
Text and TE can handle long files and telescopes paragraphs into the
existing window with automatic resizing of characters per line.

In the MSPC world, Note Pad is the starter application, turns on and
off word wrap, and can handle very big files, even more than 1
Megabits. Word Pad is supposed to be the rtf compatible application.

Of course, HTML happens in both and should take care of formatting
problems but for example Safari on MacIntosh System X and Explorer on
MS Vista are still partially blind to the needs of the other
platform.

Jumping to the encryption problem, for example Java Script written for
a Mac and for the other PC's, Unix not discussed here, require 2
different JavaScript programs, platform specific. Therefore,
JavaScript is not universal as advertised. You need to know how the
receiving party is going to decode the cipher text, if characters
under #32, space, are encrypted of you get less than pristine output
as defaults might do strange things. Te need to check for even more
novel format treatments seems juvenile.

Is this starting to make sense? If you are a purist, imagine me as
such, you would want to cover all the options as cleanly as possible.
A good start for text is to remove all extra and indent spaces, end
each line with a space, no spaces on blank lines, and insert more
control characters in PC outputs to produce selected line lengths. So
I have it, make programs for both platforms that appear to be 100% I/O
compatible to cater to the formats of both, looking great on a Mac and
retarded on a MSPC.

As I type these lines, I notice even my quoted lines lengths are
shortened by passing through some MSPC/Unix handler.
From: WTShaw on
I'm having some success attacking certain patterns of inconsistencies
with javascript.