From: Stan Hoeppner on
Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:17 PM:

> I have achieved this with a slightly hacked TMDA (www.tmda.net). if you
> want my modifications, contact me off-list.

I'm surprised you actually mentioned a solution whose core feature is
challenge/response. C/R is one of those "cures" that far is worse than the disease.

--
Stan

From: marknernberg on

On Jan 18, 2010, at 17:48, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:17 PM:
>
>> I have achieved this with a slightly hacked TMDA (www.tmda.net). if
>> you
>> want my modifications, contact me off-list.
>
> I'm surprised you actually mentioned a solution whose core feature is
> challenge/response. C/R is one of those "cures" that far is worse
> than the disease.
>
> --
> Stan

I got rid of the C/R ... I wanted auto whitelisting & some of the
other features. hence my modifications.

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:50 PM:

> On Jan 18, 2010, at 17:48, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:17 PM:
>>
>>> I have achieved this with a slightly hacked TMDA (www.tmda.net). if you
>>> want my modifications, contact me off-list.
>>
>> I'm surprised you actually mentioned a solution whose core feature is
>> challenge/response. C/R is one of those "cures" that far is worse
>> than the disease.
>>
>> --
>> Stan
>
> I got rid of the C/R ... I wanted auto whitelisting & some of the other
> features. hence my modifications.

From:
http://tmda.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/TmdaFaq#head-0b1aee3c2decf32a26ffcc12b397f9d3cec3fdc0

How do I setup an "auto-whitelist"?

TMDA has the ability to automagically add confirmed addresses to a whitelist.
This way, each new sender only has to go through the confirmation process once.
Then TMDA will the add the senders from successfully confirmed messages to the
'whitelist_confirmed' file. A possible variation on this includes setting
CONFIRM_APPEND to your main whitelist file rather than a secondary file.

This strongly suggests the auto-whitelist feature will not function in the
absence of the C/R feature. Put another way, the auto-whitelist function is
dependent upon the C/R function. Senders must reply to the challenge email in
order to be added to the whitelist. Am I reading this wrong?

--
Stan

From: marknernberg on

On Jan 18, 2010, at 18:30, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:50 PM:
>>

>> On Jan 18, 2010, at 17:48, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:17 PM:

>>> I'm surprised you actually mentioned a solution whose core feature
>>> is
>>> challenge/response. C/R is one of those "cures" that far is worse
>>> than the disease.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stan
>>
>> I got rid of the C/R ... I wanted auto whitelisting & some of the
>> other
>> features. hence my modifications.
>
> From:
> http://tmda.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/TmdaFaq#head-0b1aee3c2decf32a26ffcc12b397f9d3cec3fdc0
>
> How do I setup an "auto-whitelist"?
>
> TMDA has the ability to automagically add confirmed addresses to a
> whitelist.
> This way, each new sender only has to go through the confirmation
> process once.
> Then TMDA will the add the senders from successfully confirmed
> messages to the
> 'whitelist_confirmed' file. A possible variation on this includes
> setting
> CONFIRM_APPEND to your main whitelist file rather than a secondary
> file.
>

> This strongly suggests the auto-whitelist feature will not function
> in the
> absence of the C/R feature. Put another way, the auto-whitelist
> function is
> dependent upon the C/R function. Senders must reply to the
> challenge email in
> order to be added to the whitelist. Am I reading this wrong?

yes. you can set tge whitelisting features in either the
global .config file or the individual users' .config. it's in the
documentation.

you may also choose which messages are challenged, tagged, etc.

I'd give you the direct link to the doc, but I'm mobile, ATM - I will
forward it later.

From: Wietse Venema on
Stan Hoeppner:
> Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:50 PM:
> >

> > On Jan 18, 2010, at 17:48, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Mark Nernberg (gmail account) put forth on 1/18/2010 4:17 PM:

> >> I'm surprised you actually mentioned a solution whose core feature is
> >> challenge/response. C/R is one of those "cures" that far is worse
> >> than the disease.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Stan
> >
> > I got rid of the C/R ... I wanted auto whitelisting & some of the other
> > features. hence my modifications.
>
> From:
> http://tmda.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/TmdaFaq#head-0b1aee3c2decf32a26ffcc12b397f9d3cec3fdc0
>
> How do I setup an "auto-whitelist"?

I'm sure that it is possible to MODIFY the TMDA source code such
that it will handle auto-whitelisting without challenge-response.

Conceptually, it's as simple as 1) never sending the challenge and
2) skipping the "was this challenge confirmed" check.

After that change, there is a lot of code that can be deleted
because it is no longer used.

Given the choice between starting from scratch, and starting with
code that already works, the choice should be clear. The only reason
to write Postfix in the first place was that I could not live with
the alternatives.

Wietse