From: Ben C on
On 2010-04-02, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
[...]
> Yes, I can see attempts but the problem with your #header ul is
> the float. Once you have that, you shoot yourself in the foot for
> your real aim. Get rid of it and simply keep your auto margins
> (just margin:auto is simpler btw) and no good having width 100%
> (what would be left to auto margin?)

The overflow caused by the padding and borders quite possibly. Auto left
and right margins will then result in centered overflowing if you see
what I mean.
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Roy A. wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Albert Ross wrote:
>>> [1] Matthew James Taylor's 3 column template is one of the best I've
>>> found, but is in xhtml. The rest of it is in html 4.0
>>
>>> Would you convert one to t'other or not bother?
>>
>> I don't see what might be called "html 4.0" in Matthew's template.
>> What I would do (and did, preparing a template for a friend) is
>> change the doctype to:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>> � �"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
>>
>> and change all those " />" to just ">". That should do it - then you
>> won't be accused of sending XHTML as text/html.
>
> Yes, if you think serving your document as if it was SGML is anything
> better.

...if you think serving your document as application/xhtml+xml and having
some of the most-popular browsers not display your page is better. <g>

--
-bts
From: Albert Ross on
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 05:43:51 +1100, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>In article <ribcr5ppneo0bkhoebf1u69e01pe9uuumo(a)4ax.com>,
> Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Two questions:-
>>
>> [1] Matthew James Taylor's 3 column template is one of the best I've
>> found, but is in xhtml. The rest of it is in html 4.0
>>

>The rest of what?

The photo galleries (left hand panel) which I derived from Lauri's
code

>> [2] I'm having brain farts trying to get the navbar <ul> centred.
>> Everything else I can do no problem.
>>

>Yes, I can see attempts but the problem with your #header ul is
>the float. Once you have that, you shoot yourself in the foot for
>your real aim. Get rid of it and simply keep your auto margins
>(just margin:auto is simpler btw) and no good having width 100%
>(what would be left to auto margin?), calculate a reasonable em
>width for the sum of the characters (and spaces) you have (add a
>little for paddings and margins if you have any. 40 to 50em
>should do the trick.

Duh!

The weird thing is that it centres in the "previewer" of the text
editor I was using, just not in Real Life browsers, which is what was
throwing me (I dunno what it uses, IE4 rendering engine or something)
From: Albert Ross on
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:23:44 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>Albert Ross wrote:
>
>> [1] Matthew James Taylor's 3 column template is one of the best I've
>> found, but is in xhtml. The rest of it is in html 4.0
>>
>> Would you convert one to t'other or not bother?
>
>I don't see what might be called "html 4.0" in Matthew's template.

No the html 4.0 is in the photo galleries

>What
>I would do (and did, preparing a template for a friend) is change the
>doctype to:
>
><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>
>and change all those " />" to just ">". That should do it - then you
>won't be accused of sending XHTML as text/html.

Yes that's probably what I'll end up doing. It's been a bit of a brain
ache using xhtml but useful discipline. Can't get away with my
customary typos so easily!

The majority of templates people write are in xhtml but I'm
unconvinced of its benefits
From: dorayme on
In article <slrnhre1gs.3r7.spamspam(a)bowser.marioworld>,
Ben C <spamspam(a)spam.eggs> wrote:

> On 2010-04-02, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> [...]
> > Yes, I can see attempts but the problem with your #header ul is
> > the float. Once you have that, you shoot yourself in the foot for
> > your real aim. Get rid of it and simply keep your auto margins
> > (just margin:auto is simpler btw) and no good having width 100%
> > (what would be left to auto margin?)
>
> The overflow caused by the padding and borders quite possibly. Auto left
> and right margins will then result in centered overflowing if you see
> what I mean.

I am actually completely rewriting my piece on centering and
there is a longish section half written on margins and paddings
and borders. Will take note of this interesting thought of yours
when returning to it.

--
dorayme