From: oparr on
Decided to monitor wiper voltage using a storage oscilloscope. With
10VDC connected to the 10K element and the scope's probe connected to
the wiper, I'm able to see the sudden drops in voltage. See picture;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/126505306

Drop in voltage is around 4V and occurs at around 6V output. Worst
case wiper bounce duration is around 2ms. Here's the puzzle, why is
the waveform so square as though a solid state device is involved?
From: Grant on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:30:45 -0700 (PDT), "oparr(a)hotmail.com" <oparr(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Decided to monitor wiper voltage using a storage oscilloscope. With
>10VDC connected to the 10K element and the scope's probe connected to
>the wiper, I'm able to see the sudden drops in voltage. See picture;
>
>http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/126505306
>
>Drop in voltage is around 4V and occurs at around 6V output. Worst
>case wiper bounce duration is around 2ms. Here's the puzzle, why is
>the waveform so square as though a solid state device is involved?

What's loading the wiper? Just the scope probe?
From: Tim Williams on
<oparr(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cec93a29-c0b8-47ef-91ca-a79c8e6a8ece(a)w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com...
> Decided to monitor wiper voltage using a storage oscilloscope. With
> 10VDC connected to the 10K element and the scope's probe connected to
> the wiper, I'm able to see the sudden drops in voltage. See picture;
>
> http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/126505306
>
> Drop in voltage is around 4V and occurs at around 6V output. Worst
> case wiper bounce duration is around 2ms. Here's the puzzle, why is
> the waveform so square as though a solid state device is involved?

With just a probe, the fall will be a couple pF || 10M (or 1M), rather slow. The rise is actually faster than most SS, limited by lower impedances (charging that couple pF probe with a Thevenin source of around 2.5kohms).

Back in the day, Tektronix had a pulse generator using mercury-wetted reed relays. Easily 1ns edges.

It's kind of funny that mechanical devices are so slow and sloppy, yet generate harmonics out to insane frequencies. The switch doesn't make full contact for at least a few microseconds, so the edge is caused by point contact alone. At low voltages, quantum tunneling will carry current across the gap a few nanometers before it touches. Over 50V, in gas, arcing will occur at some distance. In high vacuum, this is replaced by field emission at high electric fields (usually leading to sputtering and vaporization of the contacts, so there is wear even on a vacuum relay). Needless to say, any of these contact methods has high resistance and high current density until things settle down and the contact area widens (which takes a few bounces!).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
From: oparr on
> What's loading the wiper? Just the scope probe?

Yes. Guess that's normal for no-load scenarios then. BTW, the bouncing
has cleared up nicely after wiping back and forth in the bounce areas
as you and others suggested in the components group.

However, as stated eariler, my experience with wirewound pots is that
the bouncing will return especially after lack of use. Others have
suggested a film of dirt/dust/oxidation/stale lubricant on the element/
wiper may be the culprit.

Another fellow seems to indirectly suggest that current levels play a
role in that a high pot resistance combined with a relatively low
voltage is not a good idea. Again, I have had no issues using
conductive plastic or cermet pots of identical resistance in this
application.

From: Robert Baer on
Tim Williams wrote:
> <oparr(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cec93a29-c0b8-47ef-91ca-a79c8e6a8ece(a)w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com...
>> Decided to monitor wiper voltage using a storage oscilloscope. With
>> 10VDC connected to the 10K element and the scope's probe connected to
>> the wiper, I'm able to see the sudden drops in voltage. See picture;
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/126505306
>>
>> Drop in voltage is around 4V and occurs at around 6V output. Worst
>> case wiper bounce duration is around 2ms. Here's the puzzle, why is
>> the waveform so square as though a solid state device is involved?
>
> With just a probe, the fall will be a couple pF || 10M (or 1M), rather slow. The rise is actually faster than most SS, limited by lower impedances (charging that couple pF probe with a Thevenin source of around 2.5kohms).
>
> Back in the day, Tektronix had a pulse generator using mercury-wetted reed relays. Easily 1ns edges.
* As far as i could tell (in those days) with a "S" plugin and a few
tricks, the rise/fall was better than 500pSec and most likely better
than 100pSec.