From: Occidental on
Discussion in physics refer to energy as if it were as fundamental a
part of the universe as space, time and matter. In Newtonian
mechanics, energy is a useful mathematical abstraction, but not a
directly measurable part of any dynamical system. Presumably this is
also true in Relativity, despite mass/energy equivalence. Energy beams
are a staple of science fiction, but (ISTM) they are impossible since
particle or waves are needed to transmit energy. Ie a pure energy beam
could not exist.
From: BURT on
On Feb 23, 1:48 pm, Occidental <Occiden...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> Discussion in physics refer to energy as if it were as fundamental a
> part of the universe as space, time and matter. In Newtonian
> mechanics, energy is a useful mathematical abstraction, but not a
> directly measurable part of any dynamical system. Presumably this is
> also true in Relativity, despite mass/energy equivalence. Energy beams
> are a staple of science fiction, but (ISTM) they are impossible since
> particle or waves are needed to transmit energy. Ie a pure energy beam
> could not exist.

Mass is infinetly dense and wieghs in gravity, motion change and
magnetism.
Unbound particles are more massive. Their bond energy is zero. All is
in the mass of a point particle.

Mitch Raemsch
From: Jenny on
On Feb 23, 3:48 pm, Occidental <Occiden...(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Discussion in physics refer to energy as if it were as fundamental a
> part of the universe as space, time and matter.

In clasical physics mass (matter) (M), length (L), charge (Q) and time
(T) are often treated as fundamental properties of the world.

(Note that for simplicity I will largely ignore electric charge in
what follows)

Energy (MLT^-2) appears as a derived property in that treatment.

We can, if we like, treat Energy (E) as fundamental and mass
(ET^2L^-2) as a derived property.

EM and relativistic mechanics go further and treat (T^2/L^-2) as

(electric constant) x (magnetic constant) = a constant (c^2)

and claim that energy is proportional to mass i.e that in some sense
energy and mass are equivalent (E = mc^2).

>In Newtonian
> mechanics, energy is a useful mathematical abstraction, but not a
> directly measurable part of any dynamical system. Presumably this is
> also true in Relativity, despite mass/energy equivalence.

Mass also is tough to measure directly. When we weigh things what
we're actually doing is measuring forces and converting to mass via
some mathematicotheoretical process.

Perhaps we should therefor treat force (F) as fundamental and then
energy becomes (FL) - which as I recall is how the concept of energy
was originally derived.

Mass becomes (FT^2L^-1) or (FLc^-2) and like energy represents a Force
Distance product.

> Energy beams
> are a staple of science fiction, but (ISTM) they are impossible since
> particle or waves are needed to transmit energy. Ie a pure energy beam
> could not exist.

"Particle" and "wave" are just placeholders to help us picture where
forces are and how forces move.

"PARTICLES" and "WAVES" are not actual "things"

In this way of looking at things, forces are the fundamental elements
occupying spacetime. "Particles", "waves" and "energy" are merely
convenient illusions.

Love,
Jenny

From: maxwell on
On Feb 23, 7:54 pm, Jenny <yuan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 3:48 pm, Occidental <Occiden...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Discussion in physics refer to energy as if it were as fundamental a
> > part of the universe as space, time and matter.
>
> In clasical physics mass (matter) (M), length (L), charge (Q) and time
> (T) are often treated as fundamental properties of the world.
>
> (Note that for simplicity I will largely ignore electric charge in
> what follows)
>
> Energy (MLT^-2) appears as a derived property in that treatment.
>
> We can, if we like, treat Energy (E) as fundamental and mass
> (ET^2L^-2) as a derived property.
>
> EM and relativistic mechanics go further and treat (T^2/L^-2) as
>
> (electric constant) x (magnetic constant) = a constant (c^2)
>
> and claim that energy is proportional to mass i.e that in some sense
> energy and mass are equivalent (E = mc^2).
>
> >In Newtonian
> > mechanics, energy is a useful mathematical abstraction, but not a
> > directly measurable part of any dynamical system. Presumably this is
> > also true in Relativity, despite mass/energy equivalence.
>
> Mass also is tough to measure directly. When we weigh things what
> we're actually doing is measuring forces and converting to mass via
> some mathematicotheoretical process.
>
> Perhaps we should therefor treat force (F) as fundamental and then
> energy becomes (FL) - which as I recall is how the concept of energy
> was originally derived.
>
> Mass becomes (FT^2L^-1) or (FLc^-2) and like energy represents a Force
> Distance product.
>
> > Energy beams
> > are a staple of science fiction, but (ISTM) they are impossible since
> > particle or waves are needed to transmit energy. Ie a pure energy beam
> > could not exist.
>
> "Particle" and "wave" are just placeholders to help us picture where
> forces are and how forces move.
>
> "PARTICLES" and "WAVES" are not actual "things"
>
> In this way of looking at things, forces are the fundamental elements
> occupying spacetime. "Particles", "waves" and "energy" are merely
> convenient illusions.
>
> Love,
> Jenny

Our conceptual views of reality, exchanged between members of the same
community, are described in natural language (not math - a sub-
language). As such, we have determined from experience that our
language scheme should be based on nouns (things) and verbs (actions &
relationships). Thus, the dual bases of physics (another sub-
language) are fundamental things (e.g. electrons) that exist and
interactions between these things (defining their properties & effects
on these things). Thus, FORCE is a derived concept (assuming
continuous interactions between things) and is NOT fundamental. The
fact that Newton started with 'force' (actually non-continuous
impulse) was his magnificent attempt to get the game started in simple
mathematical terms, hence the title of his masterpiece: "The
Mathematical Principles OF Natural Philosophy" (i.e. concepts first,
math second).
From: PD on
On Feb 23, 3:48 pm, Occidental <Occiden...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> Discussion in physics refer to energy as if it were as fundamental a
> part of the universe as space, time and matter.

It is a measurable property of systems which seems to have an
extraordinarily consistent rule that applies to it, making it of
fundamental interest in science. I'm not sure what you mean by "a
fundamental part of the universe".

> In Newtonian
> mechanics, energy is a useful mathematical abstraction, but not a
> directly measurable part of any dynamical system.

What on earth ever gave you that idea?

> Presumably this is
> also true in Relativity, despite mass/energy equivalence. Energy beams
> are a staple of science fiction, but (ISTM) they are impossible since
> particle or waves are needed to transmit energy.

I assume you mean waves in a material medium, and again I ask,
whatever gave you that idea?

Secondly, if energy is a mathematical abstraction and not a measurable
part of a system, then what is it that is being transmitted by
particles or waves in material media? Formulas? Numbers?

Third, we can confirm experimentally that energy is being transmitted
in certain circumstances. You have a statement, which you are alleging
is universally true, that the observation of energy transfer
*necessarily* implies the presence of material particles or a material
medium. This statement should be taken as something with testable
consequences, whereby we could *independently* confirm the presences
of these particles or this medium by some signal other than the
transmission of the energy. What are those testable consequences, and
do those match up with the experimental data at hand? If not, then you
have an untestable statement, and untestable statements are purely
USELESS in science.