From: Jason Pruim on
Okay so I've been fighting with this for awhile now and haven't found
a better way yet....

What I want to do, is I have a small portion of my website included
into a template. It is displaying hosting plans so on the main site
"index.php" I want it to display a little bit of text (Same as on the
main hosting page) and just 1 random hosting plan. then if they click
on that plan and go into the main hosting section, I want them to see
ALL the hosting plans.

Here's the code that I'm using:

if($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] = "/index.php") {
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1";
}else{
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY `hostingSort` ASC";

}

Now... I know there MUST be a better way to do it but I can't see the
tree's through the forest.

Any other way I could do it?

I'm avoiding having lots of duplicate code/text on my pages.

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 11:58 -0400, Jason Pruim wrote:

> Okay so I've been fighting with this for awhile now and haven't found
> a better way yet....
>
> What I want to do, is I have a small portion of my website included
> into a template. It is displaying hosting plans so on the main site
> "index.php" I want it to display a little bit of text (Same as on the
> main hosting page) and just 1 random hosting plan. then if they click
> on that plan and go into the main hosting section, I want them to see
> ALL the hosting plans.
>
> Here's the code that I'm using:
>
> if($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] = "/index.php") {
> $sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1";
> }else{
> $sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY `hostingSort` ASC";
>
> }
>
> Now... I know there MUST be a better way to do it but I can't see the
> tree's through the forest.
>
> Any other way I could do it?
>
> I'm avoiding having lots of duplicate code/text on my pages.

To avoid duplicating code, use an include file. If you already have some
form of include (for a DB for example) then you can include your other
includes in that.

Also, not sure if it was a type in your email, but I think you want to
use == in your if statement there, instead of = ;)

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Jason Pruim on

On Jul 10, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 11:58 -0400, Jason Pruim wrote:
>
>> Okay so I've been fighting with this for awhile now and haven't found
>> a better way yet....
>>
>> What I want to do, is I have a small portion of my website included
>> into a template. It is displaying hosting plans so on the main site
>> "index.php" I want it to display a little bit of text (Same as on the
>> main hosting page) and just 1 random hosting plan. then if they click
>> on that plan and go into the main hosting section, I want them to see
>> ALL the hosting plans.
>>
>> Here's the code that I'm using:
>>
>> if($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] = "/index.php") {
>> $sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1";
>> }else{
>> $sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY `hostingSort` ASC";
>>
>> }
>>
>> Now... I know there MUST be a better way to do it but I can't see the
>> tree's through the forest.
>>
>> Any other way I could do it?
>>
>> I'm avoiding having lots of duplicate code/text on my pages.
>>

> To avoid duplicating code, use an include file. If you already have
> some
> form of include (for a DB for example) then you can include your other
> includes in that.
>
> Also, not sure if it was a type in your email, but I think you want to
> use == in your if statement there, instead of = ;)

Hey Ash,

I may not have explained it properly :)

I have 2 files... hosting.php and hostingsmall.php which have the
EXACT same content in them other then the SQL statement.
Hostingsmall.php has a "LIMIT 1" at the end...

What I want to do is be able to get rid of hostingsmall.php which is
currently included on my main page and run it all off of hosting.php
but still be able to limit the query at the front page...

the $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] seems to be doing the trick... Just wanted to
find a better way since I've heard you should trust PHP_SELF...

But if that's my best bet since it's working I can stick with it :)

From: Richard Quadling on
On 11 July 2010 02:26, Jason Pruim <lists(a)pruimphotography.com> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 11:58 -0400, Jason Pruim wrote:
>>
>>> Okay so I've been fighting with this for awhile now and haven't found
>>> a better way yet....
>>>
>>> What I want to do, is I have a small portion of my website included
>>> into a template. It is displaying hosting plans so on the main site
>>> "index.php" I want it to display a little bit of text (Same as on the
>>> main hosting page) and just 1 random hosting plan. then if they click
>>> on that plan and go into the main hosting section, I want them to see
>>> ALL the hosting plans.
>>>
>>> Here's the code that I'm using:
>>>
>>> if($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] = "/index.php") {
>>>    $sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1";
>>> }else{
>>>    $sql = "SELECT * FROM `hosting` ORDER BY `hostingSort` ASC";
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> Now... I know there MUST be a better way to do it but I can't see the
>>> tree's through the forest.
>>>
>>> Any other way I could do it?
>>>
>>> I'm avoiding having lots of duplicate code/text on my pages.
>>>

>> To avoid duplicating code, use an include file. If you already have some
>> form of include (for a DB for example) then you can include your other
>> includes in that.
>>
>> Also, not sure if it was a type in your email, but I think you want to
>> use == in your if statement there, instead of = ;)
>
> Hey Ash,
>
> I may not have explained it properly :)
>
> I have 2 files... hosting.php and hostingsmall.php which have the EXACT same
> content in them other then the SQL statement. Hostingsmall.php has a "LIMIT
> 1" at the end...
>
> What I want to do is be able to get rid of hostingsmall.php which is
> currently included on my main page and run it all off of hosting.php but
> still be able to limit the query at the front page...
>
> the $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] seems to be doing the trick... Just wanted to find
> a better way since I've heard you should trust PHP_SELF...
>
> But if that's my best bet since it's working I can stick with it :)

If the only difference between the 2 files is the SQL statement, then
maybe you could ...

<?php
// hosting.php

// Define SQL

// Include template
include 'template.php';
?>

And the same for hostingsmall.php, except you have a different SQL statement.

Pages: 1
Prev: imagettftext
Next: adduser & php