From: patata on
Hello,

First, let me to thank all people involved in this group for your
continuous support, that saves me a lot of troubles.

After years as user of shells, several problems with all them appears
always. Some examples of these problems are:

lack of ortogonality (an example, a command "ls" with some sorting
rule):
"ls" has some intrinsic sort capabilities, but not very complete. In
the same way, lots of commands have several sorting capabilities,
always limited and duplicated to the others
"sort" command could have a complete set of capabilities, but then it
must parse the "ls" output, something not always easy.
It seems we have not a shell who allows a powerful "sort" command or
librarian to merge easily with any "data provider" (ls).

Too much text oriented:
Most commands tries to provide an output in a nice textual, human
readable form. That is good if the command is used in a standalone
way, but bad when this output must be used by the next command.
I'm wondering if it is not better to have "binary" input/output for
commands (TLV, XML or something similar). The shell will be the
responsable of convert this binary data from/to human readable at the
start/end of the pipelines.

Thinking on how to solve these and similar problems, or even in the
development of a new shell variant, any comment, suggestion or link
about these subjects is welcome.

Kind regards.
From: Kees Nuyt on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 03:01:20 -0700 (PDT), patata
<qpatata(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>First, let me to thank all people involved in this group for your
>continuous support, that saves me a lot of troubles.
>
>After years as user of shells, several problems with all them appears
>always. Some examples of these problems are:
>
>lack of ortogonality (an example, a command "ls" with some sorting
>rule):
>"ls" has some intrinsic sort capabilities, but not very complete. In
>the same way, lots of commands have several sorting capabilities,
>always limited and duplicated to the others
>"sort" command could have a complete set of capabilities, but then it
>must parse the "ls" output, something not always easy.
>It seems we have not a shell who allows a powerful "sort" command or
>librarian to merge easily with any "data provider" (ls).
>
>Too much text oriented:
>Most commands tries to provide an output in a nice textual, human
>readable form. That is good if the command is used in a standalone
>way, but bad when this output must be used by the next command.
>I'm wondering if it is not better to have "binary" input/output for
>commands (TLV, XML or something similar). The shell will be the
>responsable of convert this binary data from/to human readable at the
>start/end of the pipelines.
>
>Thinking on how to solve these and similar problems, or even in the
>development of a new shell variant, any comment, suggestion or link
>about these subjects is welcome.

That's exactly what Microsoft Powershell implements, it
passes structured objects through the pipes.
Very powerful for system administration tasks, because
Powershell can query almost everything from the
underlying operating system. ACL's apply and scripts can
be signed.

The main disadvantages are:
- you have to know the names of the
attributes to access them.
- scripts are very wordy
(and that would be hard to avoid)
Best regards,
--
( Kees Nuyt
)

From: Eric on
On 2010-08-07, patata <qpatata(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, let me to thank all people involved in this group for your
> continuous support, that saves me a lot of troubles.
>
> After years as user of shells, several problems with all them appears
> always. Some examples of these problems are:
>
> lack of ortogonality (an example, a command "ls" with some sorting
> rule):
> "ls" has some intrinsic sort capabilities, but not very complete. In
> the same way, lots of commands have several sorting capabilities,
> always limited and duplicated to the others
> "sort" command could have a complete set of capabilities, but then it
> must parse the "ls" output, something not always easy.
> It seems we have not a shell who allows a powerful "sort" command or
> librarian to merge easily with any "data provider" (ls).
>
> Too much text oriented:
> Most commands tries to provide an output in a nice textual, human
> readable form. That is good if the command is used in a standalone
> way, but bad when this output must be used by the next command.
> I'm wondering if it is not better to have "binary" input/output for
> commands (TLV, XML or something similar). The shell will be the
> responsable of convert this binary data from/to human readable at the
> start/end of the pipelines.
>
> Thinking on how to solve these and similar problems, or even in the
> development of a new shell variant, any comment, suggestion or link
> about these subjects is welcome.
>
> Kind regards.

So you want to write a new shell, and rewrite every single non-gui command
(each of which is a separate program) to include generators and parsers
for some format and work out how so many disparate types of information
will be represented in that format. Good luck!

BTW, if you think XML is a binary format (even if you put "binary" in
quotes), you are seriously deluded. And TLV is only a concept, you'd
have to define lots of rules for how that would be used too.

E.
From: Mart Frauenlob on
On 07.08.2010 12:01, patata wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, let me to thank all people involved in this group for your
> continuous support, that saves me a lot of troubles.
>
> After years as user of shells, several problems with all them appears
> always. Some examples of these problems are:
>
> lack of ortogonality (an example, a command "ls" with some sorting
> rule):
> "ls" has some intrinsic sort capabilities, but not very complete. In
> the same way, lots of commands have several sorting capabilities,
> always limited and duplicated to the others
> "sort" command could have a complete set of capabilities, but then it
> must parse the "ls" output, something not always easy.
> It seems we have not a shell who allows a powerful "sort" command or
> librarian to merge easily with any "data provider" (ls).
>
> Too much text oriented:
> Most commands tries to provide an output in a nice textual, human
> readable form. That is good if the command is used in a standalone
> way, but bad when this output must be used by the next command.
> I'm wondering if it is not better to have "binary" input/output for
> commands (TLV, XML or something similar). The shell will be the
> responsable of convert this binary data from/to human readable at the
> start/end of the pipelines.
>
> Thinking on how to solve these and similar problems, or even in the
> development of a new shell variant, any comment, suggestion or link
> about these subjects is welcome.
>
> Kind regards.

M$ did some like that with powershell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
From: patata on
On Aug 7, 12:43 pm, Mart Frauenlob <VornamePunktNachn...(a)chello.at>
wrote:
> On 07.08.2010 12:01, patata wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > First, let me to thank all people involved in this group for your
> > continuous support, that saves me a lot of troubles.
>
> > After years as user of shells, several problems with all them appears
> > always. Some examples of these problems are:
>
> > lack of ortogonality (an example, a command "ls" with some sorting
> > rule):
> > "ls" has some intrinsic sort capabilities, but not very complete. In
> > the same way, lots of commands have several sorting capabilities,
> > always limited and duplicated to the others
> > "sort" command could have a complete set of capabilities, but then it
> > must parse the "ls" output, something not always easy.
> > It seems we have not a shell who allows a powerful "sort" command or
> > librarian to merge easily  with any "data provider" (ls).
>
> > Too much text oriented:
> > Most commands tries to provide an output in a nice textual, human
> > readable form. That is good if the command is used in a standalone
> > way, but bad when this output must be used by the next command.
> > I'm wondering if it is not better to have "binary" input/output for
> > commands (TLV, XML or something similar). The shell will be the
> > responsable of convert this binary data from/to human readable at the
> > start/end of the pipelines.
>
> > Thinking on how to solve these and similar problems, or even in the
> > development of a new shell variant, any comment, suggestion or link
> > about these subjects is welcome.
>
> > Kind regards.
>
> M$ did some like that with powershell:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell

Thanks to you and Mr.Nuyt for this link, I will review it.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Regular Expression
Next: Symbol for "not" within []