From: Beryl on
Mark Warnerbee - Leader of the Resistance wrote:
> Despite bitter opposition from the /proven/ enemy of freeware, Bear
> Bottoms, acf is rapidly earning a reputation as /the place/ to come for no
> nonsense Linux support.
>
> Hurrah!
>
> Just read today's glowing endorsement from 'Mister 2u'
>
> "Thanks much better answers than any dedicated Linux forums."
>
> F/OSS rules. Down with the Linux denigrators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. How can Win98 be reinstalled on an old relic after a spin with Linux
didn't work out? Mint 8 LXDE was just too slow.

Windows can't see any of the drive space that is ext3 formatted, so it
can't reformat any of it.
It thinks the 6 GB hard drive is now only a 2 KB drive.
From: za kAT on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 22:09:17 -0700, Beryl wrote:

> Mark Warnerbee - Leader of the Resistance wrote:
>> Despite bitter opposition from the /proven/ enemy of freeware, Bear
>> Bottoms, acf is rapidly earning a reputation as /the place/ to come for no
>> nonsense Linux support.
>>
>> Hurrah!
>>
>> Just read today's glowing endorsement from 'Mister 2u'
>>
>> "Thanks much better answers than any dedicated Linux forums."
>>
>> F/OSS rules. Down with the Linux denigrators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> OK. How can Win98 be reinstalled on an old relic after a spin with Linux
> didn't work out? Mint 8 LXDE was just too slow.
>
> Windows can't see any of the drive space that is ext3 formatted, so it
> can't reformat any of it.
> It thinks the 6 GB hard drive is now only a 2 KB drive.

Yep, that is a pig.

I've done it in a few ways.

Boot using a Linux CD and use cfdisk from a command line to delete the
partitions.

The HD manufacturers site usually have a suite of tools you can use to
reset the disk.

You can use Windows utilities > Windows 2000

fixboot + fixmbr from the command console.

This will do it if you mount the drive on another windows machine

http://www.killdisk.com/

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!
From: Beryl on
za kAT wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 22:09:17 -0700, Beryl wrote:
>
>> Mark Warnerbee - Leader of the Resistance wrote:
>>> Despite bitter opposition from the /proven/ enemy of freeware, Bear
>>> Bottoms, acf is rapidly earning a reputation as /the place/ to come for no
>>> nonsense Linux support.
>>>
>>> Hurrah!
>>>
>>> Just read today's glowing endorsement from 'Mister 2u'
>>>
>>> "Thanks much better answers than any dedicated Linux forums."
>>>
>>> F/OSS rules. Down with the Linux denigrators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> OK. How can Win98 be reinstalled on an old relic after a spin with Linux
>> didn't work out? Mint 8 LXDE was just too slow.
>>
>> Windows can't see any of the drive space that is ext3 formatted, so it
>> can't reformat any of it.
>> It thinks the 6 GB hard drive is now only a 2 KB drive.
>
> Yep, that is a pig.
>
> I've done it in a few ways.
>
> Boot using a Linux CD and use cfdisk from a command line to delete the
> partitions.
>
> The HD manufacturers site usually have a suite of tools you can use to
> reset the disk.
>
> You can use Windows utilities > Windows 2000
>
> fixboot + fixmbr from the command console.
>
> This will do it if you mount the drive on another windows machine
>
> http://www.killdisk.com/

Thanks.
The relic is destined for craigslist. I'd give Puppy Linux a go, but
I'll never get it over my dialup service and I'm too cheap to buy a CD.