From: Ben Berman on
.. . . because I am all thumbs mechanically.

I am removing a motherboard from a rackmount case, and 2 of the screws
have an unnatural attraction to the brass standoffs underneath. I can
even hear the standoffs spinning underneath . . . 8-(

Any suggestions? It's in the case, so I can't really sneak a wrench
underneath to grab the standoffs. Grrrrrrr.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, 'cause it's gonna give me my chance
to format NTFS and reinstall Windows, as Sue advised me to do about a
year ago 8-)

bzb

--
THE SONG FACTORY
Words and Music, made to order(TM)

WWW: http://www.thesongfactory.com
From: Ben Berman on
Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot Ben Berman <no(a)thanks.net> grabbed the controls of the
> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> I am removing a motherboard from a rackmount case, and 2 of the screws
>> have an unnatural attraction to the brass standoffs underneath. I can
>> even hear the standoffs spinning underneath . . . 8-(
>>
>> Any suggestions? It's in the case, so I can't really sneak a wrench
>> underneath to grab the standoffs. Grrrrrrr.
>
> If the standoffs are the standard little threaded brass guys, just unscrew
> them out of the case. Then when the mobo is able to be removed, you'll be
> able to use a wrench or a pair of pliers to get the screw out of the
> standoff. I've had to do this this plenty of times.

As it turns out, I learned something new: standoffs come in different
sizes. I thought they were uniform, but wikipedia and my own recent
experience tells me otherwise. Once I snipped the buggers outta the
case, I found that the new ones sent by Antec didn't fit! But I did have
a few that fit the holes but were a bit small, so Steve's suggestion for
loctite came in handy - I'd never heard of this stuff before.

Thanks guys.

bzb