From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 22:57:24 +0000 (UTC), hurdygurdy
<hurdygurdy(a)juno.com> wrote:

>What methods are usually used for throttling up/download speeds
>of users? Is this generally done with a software app and at
>what level? Just wondering.

Software:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_management>

For VoIP:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service>

How it's done in a small wireless router:
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service>

What problem are you trying to solve and what equipment/OS/software do
you have to work with?

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings,
hurdygurdy chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> I was just wondering if the open (public?) AP I am using is
> throttling me or just too far away. Probably throttling since
> upload speeds much greater than down. Wondering how it's
> done, prolly just need to buy a better antenna. Thanks.

Wireless speeds drop off with distance so if you're far enough away it might
not be deliberate throttling [although it wouldn't be asymmetrical].

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
11:01:32 up 20 days, 1:32, 6 users, load average: 0.17, 0.13, 0.15