From: Christoph Lameter on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Minchan Kim wrote:

> This patch registers address of mem_section to memmap itself's page struct's
> pg->private field. This means the page is used for memmap of the section.
> Otherwise, the page is used for other purpose and memmap has a hole.

What if page->private just happens to be the value of the page struct?
Even if that is not possible today, someday someone may add new
functionality to the kernel where page->pivage == page is used for some
reason.

Checking for PG_reserved wont work?

> +void mark_valid_memmap(unsigned long start, unsigned long end);
> +
> +#ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL
> +static inline int memmap_valid(unsigned long pfn)
> +{
> + struct page *page = pfn_to_page(pfn);
> + struct page *__pg = virt_to_page(page);
> + return page_private(__pg) == (unsigned long)__pg;

Hmmm.. hmmm....
From: Minchan Kim on
Hi Christoph,

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Christoph Lameter
<cl(a)linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Minchan Kim wrote:
>
>> This patch registers address of mem_section to memmap itself's page struct's
>> pg->private field. This means the page is used for memmap of the section.
>> Otherwise, the page is used for other purpose and memmap has a hole.
>
> What if page->private just happens to be the value of the page struct?
> Even if that is not possible today, someday someone may add new
> functionality to the kernel where page->pivage == page is used for some
> reason.

I agree.

> Checking for PG_reserved wont work?

Okay. It would be better to consider page point itself with PG_reserved.
I will reflect your opinion next version. :)

Thanks, Christoph.

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim
From: miltonm on
[Sorry if i missed or added anyone on cc, patchwork.kernel.org LKML is not
working and I'm not subscribed to the list ]

On Mon Jul 26 2010 about 12:47:37 EST, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Minchan Kim wrote:
>
> > This patch registers address of mem_section to memmap itself's page struct's
> > pg->private field. This means the page is used for memmap of the section.
> > Otherwise, the page is used for other purpose and memmap has a hole.

> > +void mark_valid_memmap(unsigned long start, unsigned long end);
> > +
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL
> > +static inline int memmap_valid(unsigned long pfn)
> > +{
> > + struct page *page = pfn_to_page(pfn);
> > + struct page *__pg = virt_to_page(page);
> > + return page_private(__pg) == (unsigned long)__pg;
>

> What if page->private just happens to be the value of the page struct?
> Even if that is not possible today, someday someone may add new
> functionality to the kernel where page->pivage == page is used for some
> reason.
>
> Checking for PG_reserved wont work?

I had the same thought and suggest setting it to the memory section block,
since that is a uniquie value (unlike PG_reserved),

> > static inline int pfn_valid(unsigned long pfn)
> > {
> > + struct mem_section *ms;
> > if (pfn_to_section_nr(pfn) >= NR_MEM_SECTIONS)
> > return 0;
> > - return valid_section(__nr_to_section(pfn_to_section_nr(pfn)));
> > + ms = __nr_to_section(pfn_to_section_nr(pfn));
> > + return valid_section(ms) && memmap_valid(pfn);

... and we already have computed it when we use it so we could pass it as
a parameter (to both _valid and mark_valid).

milton
From: Minchan Kim on
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 2:55 PM, <miltonm(a)bga.com> wrote:
> [Sorry if i missed or added anyone on cc, patchwork.kernel.org �LKML is not
> working and I'm not subscribed to the list ]

Readd them. :)

> On Mon Jul 26 2010 about 12:47:37 EST, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Minchan Kim wrote:
>>
>> > This patch registers address of mem_section to memmap itself's page struct's
>> > pg->private field. This means the page is used for memmap of the section.
>> > Otherwise, the page is used for other purpose and memmap has a hole.
>

>> > +void mark_valid_memmap(unsigned long start, unsigned long end);
>> > +
>> > +#ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_HOLES_MEMORYMODEL
>> > +static inline int memmap_valid(unsigned long pfn)
>> > +{
>> > + struct page *page = pfn_to_page(pfn);
>> > + struct page *__pg = virt_to_page(page);
>> > + return page_private(__pg) == (unsigned long)__pg;
>>

>> What if page->private just happens to be the value of the page struct?
>> Even if that is not possible today, someday someone may add new
>> functionality to the kernel where page->pivage == page is used for some
>> reason.
>>
>> Checking for PG_reserved wont work?
>
> I had the same thought and suggest setting it to the memory section block,
> since that is a uniquie value (unlike PG_reserved),

You mean setting pg->private to mem_section address?
I hope I understand your point.

Actually, KAMEZAWA tried it at first version but I changed it.
That's because I want to support this mechanism to ARM FLATMEM.(It
doesn't have mem_section)

>> > static inline int pfn_valid(unsigned long pfn)
>> > {
>> > + struct mem_section *ms;
>> > if (pfn_to_section_nr(pfn) >= NR_MEM_SECTIONS)
>> > return 0;
>> > - return valid_section(__nr_to_section(pfn_to_section_nr(pfn)));
>> > + ms = __nr_to_section(pfn_to_section_nr(pfn));
>> > + return valid_section(ms) && memmap_valid(pfn);
>
> .. and we already have computed it when we use it so we could pass it as
> a parameter (to both _valid and mark_valid).

I hope this can support FALTMEM which have holes(ex, ARM).

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim
From: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 03:12:38 -0500
Milton Miller <miltonm(a)bga.com> wrote:

> Hmm, this loop would need to change for sections. And sizeof(struct
> page) % PAGE_SIZE may not be 0, so we want a global symbol for sparsemem
> too.
IIUC, sizeof(struct page) % PAGE_SIZE is not a probelm.

> Perhaps the mem_section array. Using a symbol that is part of
> the model pre-checks can remove a global symbol lookup and has the side
> effect of making sure our pfn_valid is for the right model.

But yes, maybe it's good to make use of a fixed-(magic)-value.

Tanks,
-Kame