From: Mahen on
I am using SQL server 2008

The following command:
CREATE TABLE Table1 ( Column1 time(7) )
results in the following message:
Msg 2715, Level 16, State 7, Line 1
Column or parameter #1: Cannot find data type time.

Please help. Thank you
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Mahen (mlux(a)eim.ae) writes:
> I am using SQL server 2008
>
> The following command:
> CREATE TABLE Table1 ( Column1 time(7) )
> results in the following message:
> Msg 2715, Level 16, State 7, Line 1
> Column or parameter #1: Cannot find data type time.
>
> Please help. Thank you

Run this command:

SELECT @@version

Or just check the status bar in SQL Server Management Studio. You
are obviously not connected to the server you think you are.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Jeffrey Williams on
Also - check the compatibility level of the database you are in, it could be
that the database is 90 and not 100, which would also prevent usage of the
new data types.

From: Phil Brammer on
"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel(a)sommarskog.se> wrote in message
> Mahen (mlux(a)eim.ae) writes:
>> I am using SQL server 2008
>>
>> The following command:
>> CREATE TABLE Table1 ( Column1 time(7) )
>> results in the following message:
>> Msg 2715, Level 16, State 7, Line 1
>> Column or parameter #1: Cannot find data type time.
>>
>> Please help. Thank you
>
> Run this command:
>
> SELECT @@version
>
> Or just check the status bar in SQL Server Management Studio. You
> are obviously not connected to the server you think you are.

Yep, to add to Erland - it could be that 2008 is installed as a named
instance, and you are connecting to the default instance (2005) instead of
2008.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Jeffrey Williams (jeff.williams3188(a)verizon.net) writes:
> Also - check the compatibility level of the database you are in, it
> could be that the database is 90 and not 100, which would also prevent
> usage of the new data types.

Nope, I tested that before I posted. Creating the table on compat level 90
was no problem, nor should it be. Time is just an identifier, it is not
a reserved keyword.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: