From: Kurt Ullman on
In order to keep things (relatively) simple. I want to get an external
HD and then get both TM and SD to use it. Is there a way to set it up?
Any particular reason this is a bad idea?

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:59:29 -0500, Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In order to keep things (relatively) simple.

Simplicity is an illusion. Few things are ever simple. Those that
are simple, tend not to remain simple.

>I want to get an external
>HD and then get both TM and SD to use it. Is there a way to set it up?

<http://macsaregreat.com/?p=57>
<http://pixobebo.com/index.php/pixonomy/articles/using_leopards_time_machine_with_superduper/>
Amazing what one can find with Google.

>Any particular reason this is a bad idea?

Nope. I do image backups on my systems roughly every 2-3 months, with
file by file backups filling in between. The trick is to remember to
purge the file by file backups after every image backup or you'll end
up with a huge mess of old and new data to untangle.

Beware of anything that is amazing, miracle, magic, ultimate, super,
professional, improved, updates, etc as they rarely are such.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Kurt Ullman on
In article <24a3g5d9d2s6iuuus5tv2ke5dbrmjuhrvl(a)4ax.com>,
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It was especially appreciated since I clicked on
the wrong group (this one is directly above comp.mac.sys.general in my
list of NGs). Answered the question AND managed to not ask why the heck
I was asking that question on alt.internet.wireless. A true prince (g).

Kurt

From: Neill Massello on
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In order to keep things (relatively) simple. I want to get an external
> HD and then get both TM and SD to use it. Is there a way to set it up?
> Any particular reason this is a bad idea?

Better to ask this in one of the comp.sys.mac groups.

It can be done, but it's not a great idea. SuperDuper clones volumes, so
you'll either have to partition the backup drive or have SD write to a
sparse bundle (or image) file on it. Partitioning will waste some space
but will give you a backup volume that's bootable. Having SD write to a
file will save space, but TM will eventually be contending with SD for
room, and you'll have to go into Time Machine to delete old backups
manually. Probably not as "simple" as you want.

In either case, you'll end up with two copies of every current file: one
in the SD clone and the other in the Time Machine backup. If that's
actually what you want, it would make more sense to keep those
additional backup copies on a physically distinct drive. When modern
hard drives fail, it's usually sudden and total: everything on all
partitions is lost.

From: amdx on

"Kurt Ullman" <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <24a3g5d9d2s6iuuus5tv2ke5dbrmjuhrvl(a)4ax.com>,
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply. It was especially appreciated since I clicked on
> the wrong group (this one is directly above comp.mac.sys.general in my
> list of NGs). Answered the question AND managed to not ask why the heck
> I was asking that question on alt.internet.wireless. A true prince (g).
>

> Kurt

Hmm, Prince Jeff, nah.
I think we should put him in the position of King.
Yes, Let it be done!
Mike :-)

>> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:59:29 -0500, Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In order to keep things (relatively) simple.
>>
>> Simplicity is an illusion. Few things are ever simple. Those that
>> are simple, tend not to remain simple.
>>
>> >I want to get an external
>> >HD and then get both TM and SD to use it. Is there a way to set it up?
>>
>> <http://macsaregreat.com/?p=57>
>> <http://pixobebo.com/index.php/pixonomy/articles/using_leopards_time_machine_w
>> ith_superduper/>
>> Amazing what one can find with Google.
>>
>> >Any particular reason this is a bad idea?
>>
>> Nope. I do image backups on my systems roughly every 2-3 months, with
>> file by file backups filling in between. The trick is to remember to
>> purge the file by file backups after every image backup or you'll end
>> up with a huge mess of old and new data to untangle.
>>
>> Beware of anything that is amazing, miracle, magic, ultimate, super,
>> professional, improved, updates, etc as they rarely are such.
>
> --
> To find that place where the rats don't race
> and the phones don't ring at all.
> If once, you've slept on an island.
> Scott Kirby "If once you've slept on an island"
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Folded Dipole Calculator Help
Next: s