From: Sierra on
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. It seems to overlap a
number of products.

We have a SQL Server 2005 Standard SP3 database running on Windows 2008
Standard SP2 x64. It is configured to use database mirroring (High
Availability) with an identical server as the mirror and a very similar
system as witness.

Connecting to this database is an ASP.NET 3.5 web application (IIS 7 on
Windows Web Server 2008 x64) with the following SqlClient connection string:
Data Source=SOMEIP;Failover Partner=SOMEIP2;Initial Catalog=MYDATABASE;User
Id=SomeUser;Password=SomePassword;

Just today, after running fine for months, the database failed over.
However, the website did not properly connect to the new primary. Instead all
we saw was the error: “Timeout connecting to the database.” Swapping the IPs
in the web.config file fixed the connection however we are left with the
question:

Why didn't the connection connect to the failover as we would have expected?
From: Lucas Kartawidjaja on
Hi Sierra

See if this applies in your case:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912151

Thank you
Lucas
From: Sierra on
Thanks for the link. I found that as well before I posted my question. The
article suggests that it should be installed on the SQL Server. When I tried
that on the SQL Server Standard 2005 x64 machine I got this error:

"The upgrade patch connot be installed by the Windows Installer service
because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may
update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

I double-checked that the hotfix was for x64: ndp20-kb916002-x64.

From: Sierra on
Forgot to mention the database is SP3.
From: Lucas Kartawidjaja on
It's been awhile that I use this hotfix. But my scenario is a bit different.
I use 32 bit system and still using .NET 2.0.

The problem in this case seems to be with .NET Framework. As the article
mentioned, it is with the System.Data.SqlClient namespace. I guess one of the
thing that you can check is to check on .NET Framework installed on the
server (both database and application). Then check to see if there is any
update to the .NET Framework. Given that the hotfix has been out for a while,
hopefully it is part of .NET Framework SP or updates. But you might want to
test it on your development system first.

Just a suggestion.