From: SQLCodder on
Adding the NOLOCK hint did prevent the error from occuring and the
application seems to be executing correctly now. Because of the nature of
the application I'm not concerned with "dirty reads" since they shouldn't
occur. This application is the only one that modifies these tables and only
runs twice a month on a scheduled task.

One thing I didn't mention is that the application was originally using ODBC
rather than ADO. This is the only change to the application that I have made
and since then the timeout has occured. Do you know what the difference
between ODBC and ADO would be to cause this? Do ODBC recordsets always
basically perform a NOLOCK query?

Thanks for the help here, much apreciated.

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
You might check the transaction isolation level that you are using with ADO
connections. If you are defaulting to Serializable you will have an issue.
It should be read committed. You can use profiler to see how you connect
and what commands are being sent. Don't just assume that NOLOCK fixes your
problem. If that got rid of the timeout it meant you were being blocked and
you should find out why. Again it probably means you don't have the right
indexes somewhere.