From: Martijn de Munnik on
Hi List,

RFC2821 section 4.5.3.2 Timeouts reads

"An SMTP server SHOULD have a timeout of at least 5 minutes while it
is awaiting the next command from the sender."

When I try to connect to an one.com mx (mx-cluster1.one.com or
mx-cluster2.one.com) I notice they will close the connection after about 3
seconds. Why do they do this? Is anybody else using such short timeouts?

Thanks,
Martijn

--
YoungGuns
Kasteleinenkampweg 7b

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Martijn de Munnik wrote:

> RFC2821 section 4.5.3.2 Timeouts reads
>
> "An SMTP server SHOULD have a timeout of at least 5 minutes while it
> is awaiting the next command from the sender."

The key word is SHOULD, as opposed to MUST.

> When I try to connect to an one.com mx (mx-cluster1.one.com or
> mx-cluster2.one.com) I notice they will close the connection after about 3
> seconds. Why do they do this? Is anybody else using such short timeouts?

That timeout does seem foolishly short, but they might have legitimate
reasons that are best explained by ... them! Try pinging their
postmaster.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)tandon.net>

From: Martijn de Munnik on

On Jan 23, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Martijn de Munnik wrote:
>
>> RFC2821 section 4.5.3.2 Timeouts reads
>>
>> "An SMTP server SHOULD have a timeout of at least 5 minutes while it
>> is awaiting the next command from the sender."
>
> The key word is SHOULD, as opposed to MUST.

"SHOULD" equals "MUST unless you have a really good reason". I'm trying to figure out if somebody on the list knows a really good reason.

From: Wietse Venema on
Martijn de Munnik:

> On Jan 23, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Martijn de Munnik wrote:
> >
> >> RFC2821 section 4.5.3.2 Timeouts reads
> >>
> >> "An SMTP server SHOULD have a timeout of at least 5 minutes while it
> >> is awaiting the next command from the sender."
> >
> > The key word is SHOULD, as opposed to MUST.
>
> "SHOULD" equals "MUST unless you have a really good reason". I'm
> trying to figure out if somebody on the list knows a really good
> reason.

Ask THEIR postmaster.

Wietse

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Martijn de Munnik wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Martijn de Munnik wrote:
> >
> >> RFC2821 section 4.5.3.2 Timeouts reads
> >>
> >> "An SMTP server SHOULD have a timeout of at least 5 minutes while
> >> it is awaiting the next command from the sender."
> >
> > The key word is SHOULD, as opposed to MUST.
>
> "SHOULD" equals "MUST unless you have a really good reason". I'm
> trying to figure out if somebody on the list knows a really good
> reason.

*yawn*. Perhaps you will benefit from repetition: ask their postmaster,
as I advised in my initial response and others have since echoed.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)tandon.net>