From: jojik on
JUNE - 20
DECEMBER - 56
JUNE - 96
JUNE - 56
DECEMBER - 66

dear All, i have this data in 2 columns and what I want is:
to appear 'june' automatically in one cell and in the next cell the total of
june (172). I got 172 by using 'sumif' function, but ;june' has to appear
automatically. please help me to sort out this. thanks in advance.

From: Jacob Skaria on
Do you mean..

Formula in cell C1 with ColA and B with data

=A1&"(" & SUMIF(A:A,A1,B:B)&")"

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

From: L. Howard Kittle on
Try this.
A1 to A5 has your months listed.
B1 to B5 has your values listed
F1 is the month you want to "SUMIF" , Jun or Dec.
(Can be a drop down data valadation list or just enter the month.)

In D1 enter this formula:

=F1&" "&SUMIF(A1:A5,F1,B1:B5)

Returns "Jun 172"

HTH