From: pavunkumar on
Dear Sir,

I am using firefox 2.0.3 version. The things is that whenever the
firefox get alert box in that I need to swap the application to
firefox If I am in some other application such as vim, thunderbird,
and so on. Whether is it possible , if it is possible any idea to do
that one
else related url.

Thanks
From: Barry Margolin on
In article
<12e53cff-f9c5-4784-8229-87c6e0b6243c(a)u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com>,
pavunkumar <pavun.bks(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I am using firefox 2.0.3 version. The things is that whenever the
> firefox get alert box in that I need to swap the application to
> firefox If I am in some other application such as vim, thunderbird,
> and so on. Whether is it possible , if it is possible any idea to do
> that one
> else related url.
>
> Thanks

Whether *what* is possible? You haven't asked a proper question.

Are you asking if there's a way for to switch to Firefox automatically
when it pops up an alert box, instead of having to select it with the
mouse? I don't think so.

It would be a bad idea, I think. What if it switched automatically
while you thought you were about to click on a button in another
application, and suddenly your click goes to Firefox before you get a
chance to read the alert?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: pavunkumar on
On Nov 27, 11:04 am, Barry Margolin <bar...(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article
> <12e53cff-f9c5-4784-8229-87c6e0b62...(a)u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com>,
>
> pavunkumar <pavun....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Sir,
>
> > I am using firefox 2.0.3 version. The things is that whenever the
> > firefox get alert box in that I need to swap the application to
> > firefox If I am in some other application such as vim, thunderbird,
> > and so on. Whether is it possible , if it is possible any idea to do
> > that one
> > else related url.
>
> > Thanks
>
> Whether *what* is possible? You haven't asked a proper question.
>
> Are you asking if there's a way for to switch to Firefox automatically
> when it pops up an alert box, instead of having to select it with the
> mouse? I don't think so.
>
> It would be a bad idea, I think. What if it switched automatically
> while you thought you were about to click on a button in another
> application, and suddenly your click goes to Firefox before you get a
> chance to read the alert?
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, bar...(a)alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

For example:

I am working in text editor and firefox also running with some page .
If the page getting any alert .
I have to switch over to firefox for seeing the alerted text from text
editor.

From: Ben Finney on
pavunkumar <pavun.bks(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I am working in text editor and firefox also running with some page .
> If the page getting any alert .
> I have to switch over to firefox for seeing the alerted text from text
> editor.

Perhaps it would help if you describe what you think the behaviour
should be instead. Please also describe what you think should happen if
you are part-way typing a passage of text into the text editor, and the
Firefox alert occurs while you are typing.

--
\ “It is the integrity of each individual human that is in final |
`\ examination. On personal integrity hangs humanity's fate.” |
From: Mark Hobley on
pavunkumar <pavun.bks(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using firefox 2.0.3 version. The things is that whenever the
> firefox get alert box in that I need to swap the application to
> firefox

Focus stealing is done by the window manager. Some window managers
support this, others do no not.

So far I have discovered that 9wm, fvwm, icewm and oroborus support
focus stealing, but I am sure there are many others.

The browser can steal focus by using the this.focus() javascript
facility. I am not sure what other applications need to do to steal
focus.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley