From: Androcles on

"maxwell" <spsi(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
On Feb 18, 7:36 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> maxwell wrote:
> > If you actually were talking about current
> > research into SRT, I (for one) would be interested in knowing more.
>
> Look at my
> webpage:http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html
>
> Many experimental tests of SR have been performed within the past few
> years. On
> the theoretical side, Kosteleck� and his collaborators have been exploring
> self-consistent ways of extending the standard model of particle physics
> that
> violate Lorentz invariance (the "kernel" of SR); tests of this have so far
> come
> up with no violations of SR.
>
> And there is the whole approach of "doubly special relativity" that may
> (or may
> not) become part of the search for a theory of quantum gravity....
>
> Tom Roberts

Thank you for your reference, it is quite comprehensive & should be
useful to all students of relativity (I was already aware of it). The
central physical issues in SRT are physical length contraction

Not so.
xi = x'/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) is a physical length expansion.
That should be useful to all cranks of relativity; students
of mathematics would already know the consequence of
dividing by something less than unity.

From: Inertial on

"Androcles" <Headmaster(a)Hogwarts.physics_u> wrote in message

> "maxwell" <spsi(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
> On Feb 18, 7:36 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> maxwell wrote:
>> > If you actually were talking about current
>> > research into SRT, I (for one) would be interested in knowing more.
>>
>> Look at my
>> webpage:http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html
>>
>> Many experimental tests of SR have been performed within the past few
>> years. On
>> the theoretical side, Kosteleck� and his collaborators have been
>> exploring
>> self-consistent ways of extending the standard model of particle physics
>> that
>> violate Lorentz invariance (the "kernel" of SR); tests of this have so
>> far come
>> up with no violations of SR.
>>
>> And there is the whole approach of "doubly special relativity" that may
>> (or may
>> not) become part of the search for a theory of quantum gravity....
>>
>> Tom Roberts
>
> Thank you for your reference, it is quite comprehensive & should be
> useful to all students of relativity (I was already aware of it). The
> central physical issues in SRT are physical length contraction

> Not so.
> xi = x'/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) is a physical length expansion.

Obviously if A is relatively shorter than B, then B is relatively longer
than A (in the same frame). That is all you are showing. That does NOT
mean that there is no length contraction. It just means everything that is
NOT length contracted appears length expanded (to the thing that IS
contracted).

From: waldofj on
> Not so.
>  xi = x'/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) is a physical length expansion.
> That should be useful to all cranks of relativity;

yep, it will be useful to all cranks of relativity. students of
relativity, however, know you have this backwards.