From: Jim Carlock on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...
: I've already raised the issue of Microsoft "inviting" us to the forums,
: here:
:
: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/ba2234f8-cc2f-41c8-8c1f-551558023c3e
:
: Anyone with an ID who'd like to pitch in, by all means...

Thanks, Karl.

Upon connecting to the link above, I noticed 13 TCP connections. Funny!
Windows XP is NOT supposed to allow more than 10 TCP connections at any
time. Microsoft KNOWS this, yet Microsoft made 13 TCP connections to the
Windows XP machine I am on. Why?

Taking a look at the connections, I see at least 3 or 4 going to some
company OWNED by Microsoft?

akamaitechnologies.com:http
akamaitechnologies.com:http
akamaitechnologies.com:http
akamaitechnologies.com:http

They hand-off the connection and keep the connection going and strong.

Even when the Browser that makes the connection gets shut down, the
connections to akamaitechnologies.com:http maintain themselves for 10
minutes perhaps.

Why does Microsoft do this? Windows XP only allows 10 TCP connections
at any given moment (or so that's the way Microsoft encoded tcpip.sys).

Anytime I make a connection to Microsoft, Microsoft TRIES to establish
at least 30 TCP connections. WHY? Ten or more end up going to that
company they own, akamaitechnologies.com:http. WHY?

Microsoft hammers the machine with a variety of connections that do NOT
shut themselves down when the browser closes ALL of its connections.

WHY?

I found a way around it. I just turn JavaScript OFF and only one of them
akamaitechnologies.com:http connections gets established. But then MS
ends up saying:

JavaScript required to sign in
Windows Live ID requires JavaScript to sign in. This web browser
either does not support JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.

So now I block all cookies from akamaitechnologies.com. I block all
images from akamaitechnologies.com.

But Microsoft wants to establish 4 out of the 10 limited connections
through akamaitechnologies.com.

WHY?

Thanks Karl for your help. I am trying to work out how to limit that
akamaitechnologies.com to establishing only one connection at any one
given moment.

--
Jim Carlock

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Jim Carlock wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...
>> I've already raised the issue of Microsoft "inviting" us to the forums,
>> here:
>>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/ba2234f8-cc2f-41c8-8c1f-551558023c3e
>>
>> Anyone with an ID who'd like to pitch in, by all means...
>
> Thanks, Karl.
>
> Upon connecting to the link above, I noticed 13 TCP connections. Funny!
> Windows XP is NOT supposed to allow more than 10 TCP connections at any
> time. Microsoft KNOWS this, yet Microsoft made 13 TCP connections to the
> Windows XP machine I am on. Why?
>
> Taking a look at the connections, I see at least 3 or 4 going to some
> company OWNED by Microsoft?
>
> akamaitechnologies.com:http
> akamaitechnologies.com:http
> akamaitechnologies.com:http
> akamaitechnologies.com:http
>
> They hand-off the connection and keep the connection going and strong.
>
> Even when the Browser that makes the connection gets shut down, the
> connections to akamaitechnologies.com:http maintain themselves for 10
> minutes perhaps.
>
> Why does Microsoft do this? Windows XP only allows 10 TCP connections
> at any given moment (or so that's the way Microsoft encoded tcpip.sys).
>
> Anytime I make a connection to Microsoft, Microsoft TRIES to establish
> at least 30 TCP connections. WHY? Ten or more end up going to that
> company they own, akamaitechnologies.com:http. WHY?
>
> Microsoft hammers the machine with a variety of connections that do NOT
> shut themselves down when the browser closes ALL of its connections.
>
> WHY?
>
> I found a way around it. I just turn JavaScript OFF and only one of them
> akamaitechnologies.com:http connections gets established. But then MS
> ends up saying:
>
> JavaScript required to sign in
> Windows Live ID requires JavaScript to sign in. This web browser
> either does not support JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.
>
> So now I block all cookies from akamaitechnologies.com. I block all
> images from akamaitechnologies.com.
>
> But Microsoft wants to establish 4 out of the 10 limited connections
> through akamaitechnologies.com.
>
> WHY?
>
> Thanks Karl for your help. I am trying to work out how to limit that
> akamaitechnologies.com to establishing only one connection at any one
> given moment.

WOW. They really don't get it, do they?

In more heartening news...

Google phasing out use of Windows over security concerns | Raw Story
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0601/google-phasing-windows-security-concerns/

:-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: senn on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelelsen
> Jim Carlock wrote:
>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...
>>> I've already raised the issue of Microsoft "inviting" us to the forums,
>>> here:
>>>
>>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/ba2234f8-cc2f-41c8-8c1f-551558023c3e
>>>
>>> Anyone with an ID who'd like to pitch in, by all means...
>>
>> Thanks, Karl.

You do a fine job there, Carl.
Though, mostly talking against a bunch of fools. I have no access
to the forums. Otherwise, I would like to reply to this one.:

> Karl, your choice is clear. Evolve or become extinct.
> Soon the OS will no longer support and run VB6 applications.

For first time in history signs is; microsoft is the one that'll be
extinct. Not just tomorrow. But the downgoing has started.

I could probably sign in with a new hotmail account. But am not
letting a bunch of ditchers fooling around with me.

I would almost certainly answer "the one calling us juveniles".
He himself, around 58 at most I guess, a boy in 1971,
when - as he tells - were fooling computers.
And who ends he's threads letting us know: -He's expecting a
"gold headed cane" for best answers.
He's among one of the fools there.
/se

From: Karl E. Peterson on
senn wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> skrev i meddelelsen
>> Jim Carlock wrote:
>>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote...

>>> Thanks, Karl.
>
> You do a fine job there, Carl.
> Though, mostly talking against a bunch of fools. I have no access
> to the forums. Otherwise, I would like to reply to this one.:
>
>> Karl, your choice is clear. Evolve or become extinct.
>> Soon the OS will no longer support and run VB6 applications.
>
> For first time in history signs is; microsoft is the one that'll be
> extinct. Not just tomorrow. But the downgoing has started.
>
> I could probably sign in with a new hotmail account. But am not
> letting a bunch of ditchers fooling around with me.
>
> I would almost certainly answer "the one calling us juveniles".
> He himself, around 58 at most I guess, a boy in 1971,
> when - as he tells - were fooling computers.
> And who ends he's threads letting us know: -He's expecting a
> "gold headed cane" for best answers.
> He's among one of the fools there.
> /se

Sure, just create a throwaway email account. WTH? <eg>

From: Mayayana on

| Taking a look at the connections, I see at least 3 or 4 going to some
| company OWNED by Microsoft?
|
| akamaitechnologies.com:http
| akamaitechnologies.com:http
| akamaitechnologies.com:http
| akamaitechnologies.com:http

Akamai is a hosting service. I'm surprised that MS
is using them. Their function is to provide "pipe" for
companies that can't handle it themselves. Or, for
instance, a TV network might sub-contract Akamai
for something like the Super bowl, with vast, unknown
demand expected -- to make sure that the big event
doesn't overwhelm their capacity.

I actually block Akamai in my HOSTS file. They seem
to mainly deal with ads, and they provide a form
of "super-cookie" by their design. (Like Doubleclick/Google,
if you allow one ad then you've allowed yourself to be
tracked from the numerous sites that host Doubleclick

I'd guess that MS has decided it's cheaper to just
subcontract the whole business of online forums.