From: Bob Alston on
I am trying to help a user debug slowness in an Access app with a
traditional FE/BE structure. I know of this utility for counting reads
and writes

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Anyone know of other utilities that can help me with the process of
identifying the quantity and possibly cause of reads and writes when
running an Access app?

Any good reading material that explains how this happens? I have the
Jet Database Engine Programmer's guide - 2nd Edition.

Bob
From: Banana on
Bob Alston wrote:
> Anyone know of other utilities that can help me with the process of
> identifying the quantity and possibly cause of reads and writes when
> running an Access app?

There's an undocumented feature, DBEngine.ISAMStats which provide this
information.

http://bytes.com/topic/access/insights/746787-isamstats-method

However, I would be wanting to look at the queries themselves as they
are usually the cause for the poor performance. You might may want to
make use of SHOWPLAN feature to examine how well your queries perform
and ensure they are in fact optimized.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Bob Alston <bobalston9(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am trying to help a user debug slowness in an Access app with a
>traditional FE/BE structure.

What is slow?

The three most common performance problems in Access 2000 or newer are:
- LDB locking which a persistent recordset connection or an always open bound form
corrects (multiple users)
- sub datasheet Name property set to [Auto] should be [None]
- Track name AutoCorrect should be off

If the problem is for everyone when starting up the MDB then it likely needs a
decompile.

For more information on these, less likely causes, other tips and links to MS KB
articles visit my Access Performance FAQ page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP