From: Diez B. Roggisch on

> Well, there actually is a way of building programs that may use more
> than 4GB of memory on 32 machines for Linux with higmem kernels, but I
> guess this would not work for python.

As I said, it's essentially paging:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/2450

And it's not something you can just compile in, you need explicit
code-support for it. Which python hasn't. And most other programs. So
there is not a magic compile option.

> I'll just switch to 64-bit architecture.

That's the solution, yes :)

Diez
From: denis on
On Jan 25, 8:05 pm, Alexander Moibenko <moibe...(a)fnal.gov> wrote:
> I have a simple question to which I could not find an answer.
> What is the [total maximal] size of list including size of its elements?

Beware, sys.getsizeof(alist) is 4*len(alist) + a bit, regardless of
alists's contents ?!
See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2117255/python-deep-getsizeof-list-with-contents

cheers
-- denis