From: michaelg via SQLMonster.com on
Does anyone know what the transaction_status2 field in the SYS.
DM_TRAN_ACTIVE_TRANSACTIONS DMV is used for? I am tracking down an issue with
a sleeping connection holding page and object locks. I've been able to track
down the rest of the fields, but this one has a value of 323 which looks
nothing like any other rows in the view.

According to the MS website, it is "Identified for informational purposes
only. Not supported. Future compatibility is not guaranteed." which is not
helpful at all.

Thanks!

From: Russell Fields on
Because it is not defined, I would suggest ignoring it. Especially with the
warnings that are offered.

However, I do note that certain transaction names tend to use the same
transaction_status2. I tracked for a while and got this.

transaction_status2 name
451 DTCXact
259 user_transaction
67 INSERT EXEC
3 CREATE STATISTICS
3 CREATE TABLE
3 DELETE
3 DROPOBJ
3 INSERT
3 INSERT EXEC
3 SELECT INTO
3 TRUNCATE TABLE
3 UPDATE
2 AutoCreateQPStats
2 Cache Coherency
2 DBM_INIT
2 droptemp
2 FCheckAndCleanupCachedTempTable
2 sort_init
2 TVQuery

So, if your step has a particular transaction name, that might be a clue.
For now. But the transaction name is probably a bigger clue. (And I have no
idea what 323 is.)

RLF

From: michaelg via SQLMonster.com on
Thanks for the quick feedback!

It's looking more and more like the app somehow stranded the database
connection/process. When I try to map the SPID to an OS ID, it doesn't show
up. Also, there is no record for the SPID in sys.dm_exec_requests even though
it is holding a lock on a table. I even checked to see if it was in a cursor
loop, it would show up in the sys.dm_exec_cursors.. no luck their either.

Thanks again!

From: Russell Fields on
You might check this document on orphaned connections.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137983