From: Thick Mike on
Hi
I have a TransferText macro which worked fine when I first created it.
When I now run it, I get the message:
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'field_name'. It is
already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view
its data.

Note the message tells me it cannot open a file but names a field. The
field is the last one in the table. I have tried deleting that field but then
the message refers to the new last field.

I have no tables open and am mystified as to why it has suddenly stopped
working.
From: Jerry Whittle on
First thing to do is make a complete backup of the database files.

Next run a Compact and Repair to see if that fixes the problem.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: Hans Up on
Thick Mike wrote:
> I have a TransferText macro which worked fine when I first created it.
> When I now run it, I get the message:
> The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'field_name'. It is
> already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view
> its data.
>
> Note the message tells me it cannot open a file but names a field. The
> field is the last one in the table. I have tried deleting that field but then
> the message refers to the new last field.
>
> I have no tables open and am mystified as to why it has suddenly stopped
> working.

Perhaps we could help you if you convert your macro to Visual Basic and
show us the VB code.

To do that conversion in Access 2003, select your macro in the database
window, then on the main menu choose Tools -> Macro -> Convert Macros to
Visual Basic

The conversion will create a new code module ... you can find it on the
Modules tab of the database window. Open that module, copy the code,
and paste it in your reply.

You didn't mention your Access version. I think the conversion process
is similar with other Access versions. If you hit an obstacle, tell us
what version you're using and describe the problem.
From: ThickMike on
Thanks Jerry.
I tried Compacting and Repairing but still the same problem.

I am connecting to my office server via Remote Desktop Connection - could
that be anything to do with it? When I run the macro on an office PC, it does
work.
However, I was connected remotely when it did work before.

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> First thing to do is make a complete backup of the database files.
>
> Next run a Compact and Repair to see if that fixes the problem.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Thick Mike" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have a TransferText macro which worked fine when I first created it.
> > When I now run it, I get the message:
> > The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'field_name'. It is
> > already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view
> > its data.
> >
> > Note the message tells me it cannot open a file but names a field. The
> > field is the last one in the table. I have tried deleting that field but then
> > the message refers to the new last field.
> >
> > I have no tables open and am mystified as to why it has suddenly stopped
> > working.

Pages: 1
Prev: test
Next: How to sort records in a report