From: Chris W on
I want to make a load center to test power supplies and batteries. I
was thinking of using 50 Watt 4 ohm resistors for 12V loads but I will
need 15 of them to get the current drain I want. I would also like to
load 5V and 3.3V lines and of course that would require different
resistors.

I was wondering if this wouldn't be a lot easier with a power
transistor. The 50 Watt resistors are going to cost a little over $3
each and I will probably need 30 of them to get the loads I want.

The goal is to have a variable load of about 3 to 50 amps on as much as
14V and from about 1 to 25 amps on 5V and 3.3V. Can someone recommend a
specific transistor that would work good? I am hoping I can do it with
fewer transistors. I do plan on using a large heat sink and fan to keep
this cool.

Thanks,
Chris W
From: Tim Wescott on
Chris W wrote:
> I want to make a load center to test power supplies and batteries. I
> was thinking of using 50 Watt 4 ohm resistors for 12V loads but I will
> need 15 of them to get the current drain I want. I would also like to
> load 5V and 3.3V lines and of course that would require different
> resistors.
>
> I was wondering if this wouldn't be a lot easier with a power
> transistor. The 50 Watt resistors are going to cost a little over $3
> each and I will probably need 30 of them to get the loads I want.
>
> The goal is to have a variable load of about 3 to 50 amps on as much as
> 14V and from about 1 to 25 amps on 5V and 3.3V. Can someone recommend a
> specific transistor that would work good? I am hoping I can do it with
> fewer transistors. I do plan on using a large heat sink and fan to keep
> this cool.

2N3055, if they're still around. You'll spend lots on the transistors
and heatsinks, though.

Car headlights work well for this, at least for 12 volts, with car tail
lights to trim the current. They're bulkier than resistors, but loads
cheaper -- and they'll brighten your day :-).

Or get a space heater that uses resistance wire, chop it up into ten
equal sections -- viola! ten power resistors.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Chris W on
Tim Wescott wrote:
> Chris W wrote:
>> I want to make a load center to test power supplies and batteries. I
>> was thinking of using 50 Watt 4 ohm resistors for 12V loads but I will
>> need 15 of them to get the current drain I want. I would also like to
>> load 5V and 3.3V lines and of course that would require different
>> resistors.
>>
>> I was wondering if this wouldn't be a lot easier with a power
>> transistor. The 50 Watt resistors are going to cost a little over $3
>> each and I will probably need 30 of them to get the loads I want.
>>
>> The goal is to have a variable load of about 3 to 50 amps on as much
>> as 14V and from about 1 to 25 amps on 5V and 3.3V. Can someone
>> recommend a specific transistor that would work good? I am hoping I
>> can do it with fewer transistors. I do plan on using a large heat
>> sink and fan to keep this cool.
>
> 2N3055, if they're still around. You'll spend lots on the transistors
> and heatsinks, though.
>
> Car headlights work well for this, at least for 12 volts, with car tail
> lights to trim the current. They're bulkier than resistors, but loads
> cheaper -- and they'll brighten your day :-).
>
> Or get a space heater that uses resistance wire, chop it up into ten
> equal sections -- viola! ten power resistors.

The data sheet says it will dissipate 115 watts. And they cost $1.35 at
mouser. That will total to a lot less than the 50 watt resistors. The
cost isn't as big of an issue as the complexity of wiring up a bunch of
resistors and having to switch them in one at a time so I have to use
lots of switches too.

On a side note can this thing.
http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/FDL100N50F/?qs=GBxGW0xXju923CYRyhG5QQ%3d%3d

really disapate 2,500 watts? If so I assume you need a very good heat
sink. Is really possible to realistically have enough heat sink to
dissipate enough heat to put anywhere near that much wattage through
that thing for more than a very short time?

Chris W
From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:36:26 -0500, Chris W <1qazse4(a)cox.net> wrote:

>I want to make a load center to test power supplies and batteries. I
>was thinking of using 50 Watt 4 ohm resistors for 12V loads but I will
>need 15 of them to get the current drain I want. I would also like to
>load 5V and 3.3V lines and of course that would require different
>resistors.
>
>I was wondering if this wouldn't be a lot easier with a power
>transistor. The 50 Watt resistors are going to cost a little over $3
>each and I will probably need 30 of them to get the loads I want.
>
>The goal is to have a variable load of about 3 to 50 amps on as much as
>14V

Which is 700 watts. No single transistor is going to do that. A
reasonable number would be 10 big power transistors on a huge
fan-cooled heat sink. It becomes non-trivial to drive them properly.

There are commercial transistor-based load boxes

http://www.teknetelectronics.com/Search.asp?p_ID=18842&pDo=DETAIL&Kikusui_PLZ700W

but as you can see they are a pretty big deal.

Resistors are a lot simpler. These are neat:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Welwyn.JPG

but the best heat sink is no heat sink, like just letting some
nichrome wire get red hot.

John

From: default on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:14:12 -0500, Chris W <1qazse4(a)cox.net> wrote:

>Tim Wescott wrote:
>> Chris W wrote:
>>> I want to make a load center to test power supplies and batteries. I
>>> was thinking of using 50 Watt 4 ohm resistors for 12V loads but I will
>>> need 15 of them to get the current drain I want. I would also like to
>>> load 5V and 3.3V lines and of course that would require different
>>> resistors.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if this wouldn't be a lot easier with a power
>>> transistor. The 50 Watt resistors are going to cost a little over $3
>>> each and I will probably need 30 of them to get the loads I want.
>>>
>>> The goal is to have a variable load of about 3 to 50 amps on as much
>>> as 14V and from about 1 to 25 amps on 5V and 3.3V. Can someone
>>> recommend a specific transistor that would work good? I am hoping I
>>> can do it with fewer transistors. I do plan on using a large heat
>>> sink and fan to keep this cool.
>>
>> 2N3055, if they're still around. You'll spend lots on the transistors
>> and heatsinks, though.
>>
>> Car headlights work well for this, at least for 12 volts, with car tail
>> lights to trim the current. They're bulkier than resistors, but loads
>> cheaper -- and they'll brighten your day :-).
>>
>> Or get a space heater that uses resistance wire, chop it up into ten
>> equal sections -- viola! ten power resistors.
>>

>The data sheet says it will dissipate 115 watts. And they cost $1.35 at
>mouser. That will total to a lot less than the 50 watt resistors. The
>cost isn't as big of an issue as the complexity of wiring up a bunch of
>resistors and having to switch them in one at a time so I have to use
>lots of switches too.
>
>On a side note can this thing.
>http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/FDL100N50F/?qs=GBxGW0xXju923CYRyhG5QQ%3d%3d
>
>really disapate 2,500 watts? If so I assume you need a very good heat
>sink. Is really possible to realistically have enough heat sink to
>dissipate enough heat to put anywhere near that much wattage through
>that thing for more than a very short time?
>
>Chris W

You can also use a combination of transistor and resistor(s) to give
you control and limit the maximum current (most of the heat in the
resistor not the transistor)

In a simple circuit with a transistor and potentiometer to set the
current - you will quickly learn all about thermal runaway. As the
transistor heats, the gain goes up, so the current goes up. Not a
problem if you are sitting there watching and correcting for it, but a
problem for long term unsupervised testing. The converse also works -
you get the current where you want it after multiple adjustments and
the ambient temperature drops a little and the current drops too.

An adjustable constant current circuit is a better safer bet.
--
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: * Tight Teens Getting Plonked