From: VK on
On Apr 20, 8:06 pm, Jorge <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:

Out of modern non-mobile UAs that currently worth commercial
attention, from top to bottom:

inputFile.click() supported:

yes Internet Explorer
no Mozilla Firefox
yes Apple Safari
yes Google Chrome
no Opera

With Opera's importance for commercial projects being more theoretical
than practical (yet still presented), the real stopping obstacle are
Gecko clones. Either click() or artificial events over createEvent are
equally ignored, as years ago. I see little sense in it by now, after
the styling workaround trick from QuirksMode became a de facto
standard development tool ( http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/inputfile.html
)

If Mozilla & Opera are really concerned about security, they should
lock CSS opacity changing for input[file] - and a longest time ago.
Right now i) either user is proposed to click something that doesn't
resemble input[file] at all with any proprietary label on it or ii)
gets FileChooser window without clicking - I don't see how the 2nd
would be more potentially harmful than the 1st.

Looks like another "our principle to stay on" syndrome that Mozilla
periodically gets :-)
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
David Mark wrote:

> VK wrote:
>> If Mozilla & Opera are really concerned about security, they should
>> lock CSS opacity changing for input[file] - and a longest time ago.
>
> That was almost lucid. :)

Almost. Opacity would not make much of a difference without locking
`visibility' for those controls in all CSS-capable browsers as well. And
I don't subscribe at all to the opinion that such controls should not be
subject to styling, or as we are here, to animation (standards-compliant
blend-in/-out effects come to mind). And it's not a security issue at all
as the `value' attribute or property of the control cannot be set.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>