From: Gavin Sinclair on

> It's unfortunate that the 2 different debuggers both use the word
> rdebug somehow in their invocation.... With the original debug.rb, you
> start debugging your program via 'ruby -rdebug' whereas with
> ruby-debug gem, you start debugging via 'rdebug'. This makes it more
> confusing than it ought to be.

With ruby-debug, I start debugging via the "debugger" method in my
code, possibly conditional, in the exact place I want it. Couldn't be
happier!

From: rocky on
On Jul 16, 12:40 pm, Caleb Clausen <vikk...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/10, rocky <u...(a)compgroups.net/> wrote:
>
> > ruby -rdebug UltraDedup.rb
>
> > invokes the debugger that comes with Ruby, notruby-debug. To invoke
> >ruby-debugrun as rdebug.
>
> Furthermore, if you run your ruby program via the rdebug command, you
> needn't modify your source code at all.
>
> It's unfortunate that the 2 different debuggers both use the word
> rdebug somehow in their invocation.... With the original debug.rb, you
> start debugging your program via 'ruby -rdebug' whereas withruby-debuggem, you start debugging via 'rdebug'. This makes it more
> confusing than it ought to be.

Yes, it rdebug was an unfortunate name. In the rewrite [1], I don't
make that mistake. However currently that debugger is called rbdbgr
which I have come to learn that that is a very very bad name for the
project. I need to change that eventually -- different mistakes!

With regards to the question to the differences between debug.rb and
ruby-debug, others have answered this very nicely. Thanks! And there
is Pascal's blog on this from a while ago [2].

Nevertheless I'll try to summarize differences and note the possible
confusion on the next update of "Debugging with ruby-debug" [3].

[1] http://github.com/rocky/rbdbgr
[2] http://blog.nanorails.com/articles/2006/07/14/a-better-rails-debugger-ruby-debug/
[3] http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/ruby-debug.html