From: Mark Murray on
On 07/19/10 15:18, Tom St Denis wrote:
> JSH because he's a cross-discipline troll. I'm just glad he stays out
> of comp.compression and c.l.c.

Oops. He's just getting going (again?) on "prime compression".

Brace yourself.

From: MrD on
Pubkeybreaker wrote:

> Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent
> people will:
>
> tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
> fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
> fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
> recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill,
> IF they can be trained to substantially improve.

I've never heard of this before, but there was a loud >CLANG< of
cognitive assonance[1] when I read it.

It seems to me that as I get older and learn more[2], I feel less
entitled to puff my own abilities, and more inclined to
self-deprecation. This makes it harder for me to sell myself to
prospective employers, and so has a rather significant impact on my
life. I've found it puzzling and disturbing.

--
MrD.

[1] Actually I'm not sure that the sound of assonance is ever >CLANG<.

[2] Of course, there's no automatic link between getting older and
learning more.
From: Pubkeybreaker on
On Jul 19, 11:38 am, MrD <mrdemean...(a)jackpot.invalid> wrote:
> Pubkeybreaker wrote:
>

> [2] Of course, there's no automatic link between getting older and
>      learning more.

As adacrypt, JSH and Archie have demonstrated.
From: Maaartin on
On Jul 19, 5:38 pm, MrD <mrdemean...(a)jackpot.invalid> wrote:
> It seems to me that as I get older and learn more[2], I feel less
> entitled to puff my own abilities, and more inclined to
> self-deprecation. This makes it harder for me to sell myself to
> prospective employers, and so has a rather significant impact on my
> life. I've found it puzzling and disturbing.

I don't know the level of the job you look for, but don't forget that
there are so many idiots in all positions. Considering this, I don't
think there's a position too high for anybody capable of using knife
and fork. It could help to concentrate on how you can do the job
instead of your abilities as such. I know there many thousands people
smarter then me in the world, but why should I care?
From: Scott Contini on
On Jul 20, 12:02 am, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybrea...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 9:54 am, Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 19, 9:49 am, Pubkeybreaker <pubkeybrea...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> > > Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent
> > > people will:
>
> > > tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
> > > fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
> > > fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
> > > recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill,
> > > IF they can be trained to substantially improve.
>
> > > It all stems from ignorance and incompetence.  And in many cases, the
> > > ignorance
> > > appears to be WILLFUL.  Which makes it contemptible.
>
> > Ah very true.  Given that the bias is not trade related I guess it's
> > not surprising to see it across domains.
>
> > Tom
>
> If you think this NG is bad,  you should see the looney-tunes in
> sci.physics
> and sci.math.  Many of them seem to suffer from Narcissistic
> Personality
> Disorder as well as willful ignorance.
>
> I don't know who is worse: JSH,  Archie Plutonium, or adacrypt.

I at least got many good laughs from Mr Plutonium.
But reading somebody like JSH just makes me want
to cry!

Scott