From: Kaddie on
The Hi we have exchange server 2007 version 8.01.0340 on Windows server 2003
R2 SP2. We have 3 domain controllers and 2 are global catalogs. We have
about 450 mailboxes. Most users have Cache Mode turned on but some don't.
Lately our users are getting a message on the toolbar saying "Trying to
Connect to Exchange server". It has happened in the past but only ramdomly.

I browsed for an answer and saw articles about the nic cards in the exchange
server. Our nic card is a broadcom bcm 5708C Netxtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD
Client) version 4.8.5.0. The articles I read said nic cards greater than
version 3.7 would be OK so we must be fine. How can I find out what is
causing this. It is becoming critical as almost every user is experiencing
the problem. I have turned on/off cache mode. Removed Roaming profile for
some users that were roaming but the problem always seems to come back. Help
please I'm tearing my hair out.
thanks
--
Kath
From: Kaddie on
Further information we use group shield and found in the event logs the
following message
Unexpected error 0x8004010f occurred in "EcProcessVirusScanQueueItem" during
virus scanning.
Mailbox Database: /o=XXXXXX/ou=Exchange Administrative Group. We have
turned of the Group shield scanning. Our sys admin said the scanning may
have been locking the database. Could this be a problem using group shield.
We have a very large mailbox store around 260Gb. Is it better to have
multiple smaller stores rather than 1 big one.
thanks
--
Kath

From: John on
I never have the antivirus scan teh message store.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:46:11 -0700, Kaddie
<kathied(a)tweed.nsw.gov.au(donotspam)> wrote:

>Further information we use group shield and found in the event logs the
>following message
>Unexpected error 0x8004010f occurred in "EcProcessVirusScanQueueItem" during
>virus scanning.
>Mailbox Database: /o=XXXXXX/ou=Exchange Administrative Group.

I'm not sure if this still applies:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952778/

Do you, perhaps, have the diagnostic logging level set to "high"?

>We have
>turned of the Group shield scanning. Our sys admin said the scanning may
>have been locking the database.

You shouldn't be scanning any Exchange files with A/V software. If you
are, stop it.

>Could this be a problem using group shield.

A/V scanners can cause a lot more damage than that if they try to
"disinfect" your database or log files..

>We have a very large mailbox store around 260Gb.

That's kinda big. How long do you think it would take to restore that
file if you had to? :-)

>Is it better to have
>multiple smaller stores rather than 1 big one.

Yes, it is. But "how big?" is up to you, your backup and restore
times, and whatever your organization says it can tolerate for down
time.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:07:39 -0700, Kaddie
<kathied(a)tweed.nsw.gov.au(donotspam)> wrote:

>The Hi we have exchange server 2007 version 8.01.0340 on Windows server 2003
>R2 SP2. We have 3 domain controllers and 2 are global catalogs. We have
>about 450 mailboxes. Most users have Cache Mode turned on but some don't.
>Lately our users are getting a message on the toolbar saying "Trying to
>Connect to Exchange server". It has happened in the past but only ramdomly.

Have you run the Exchanger Best Practices Analyzer (ExBPA)? It's right
there in the "Toolbox" in the EMC.

It's time to start gathering perfmon data. Grab a copy of PerfWiz
(http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikelag/archive/2008/05/02/perfwiz-replacement-for-exchange-2007.aspx)
and PAL (http://pal.codeplex.com/). You'll need Log Parser, too
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=890cd06b-abf8-4c25-91b2-f8d975cf8c07&displaylang=en).

Schedule a collection period long enough and during your busiest time.
Then run it through PAL and see what stands out. You can use the
perfmon logs to get more detail once you have an idea of what the
problem is.

>I browsed for an answer and saw articles about the nic cards in the exchange
>server. Our nic card is a broadcom bcm 5708C Netxtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD
>Client) version 4.8.5.0. The articles I read said nic cards greater than
>version 3.7 would be OK so we must be fine. How can I find out what is
>causing this.

See above. Fix the problems ExBPA points out first.

>It is becoming critical as almost every user is experiencing
>the problem. I have turned on/off cache mode.

That's not your problem. I'm guessing that you'll find too many RPCs
backlogged when this happens.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP