From: James Mills on
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM, ben owen <troabarton69(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm new to this and was needing help with trying to learn/work
> with Python 2.7 on my computer. I'm running Windows 7 and trying to learn
> python programming from an older book from 1999 by Mark Lutz and David
> Ascher my boss gave me, and for some reason none of my script/modules for
> the exercises are working on my comp. Mostly they give either a syntax error
> on the python command line or something about the file/module not being
> found on the windows command line. Also, does anyone where i can find/get
> something similar to the book for my own?

Start with the mighty fine Python tutorial on the
Python Documentation website (1)

cheers
James

1. http://docs.python.org/

--
-- James Mills
From: rantingrick on
On Aug 2, 5:32 pm, James Mills <prolo...(a)shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM, ben owen <troabarto...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone, I'm new to this and was needing help with trying to learn/work
> > with Python 2.7 on my computer. I'm running Windows 7 and trying to learn
> > python programming from an older book from 1999 by Mark Lutz and David
> > Ascher my boss gave me,

First of all why are you trusting your boss to provide adequate
manuals? Your boss is obviously an idiot because if he knew anything
about Python then why would need you? And why the heck would he give
you reading material that is 11 years old? All you have to do is type
"Python Tutorial" into any search engine to find tons of tuts
available.

> > and for some reason none of my script/modules for
> > the exercises are working on my comp. Mostly they give either a syntax error
> > on the python command line or something about the file/module not being
> > found on the windows command line.

Changes were made in Python3.0 that are not backwards compatible. What
version of Python do you have installed currently and what version is
the tutorial/book intended for? These would be good questions to ask
yourself. Be aware that current releases of Python2.7 and Python3.1.2
are available for download free of charge (psst: all you have to do is
sign over your soul to Guido, but who needs a soul anyway?). Heck, at
one time they were even giving out free t-shirts and coffee mugs to
first 100 downloads.