From: Dirk Craeynest on
The Computer Science Department of the K.U.Leuven
and the Ada-Belgium organization
are pleased to announce the seminar

T e c h n o l o g y U p d a t e :
A d a a n d S P A R K
f o r e d u c a t i o n a n d r e s e a r c h

State-of-the-art programming language technology with Ada
Formal specifications made practical with SPARK

organized with support from AdaCore and Altran Praxis

on Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 14:00-18:00
at the K.U.Leuven, Department of Computer Science
Celestijnenlaan 200A, B-3001 Leuven (Heverlee), Belgium

http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/AdaEvent/

------------
Introduction
------------

Ada is a state-of-the-art programming language especially suitable for
large, long-lived applications where safety, security, and reliability
are critical. Due to its approach of detecting errors as soon as
possible it is also generally usable for all types of applications.
SPARK is a formally-defined programming language based on Ada, intended
to be secure and to support the development of high-integrity software.

This event is primarily intended for the educational and research
community, and will present experts from academia and industry
who believe that using Ada and SPARK in education and research is
fundamental to form the software engineers of tomorrow. Why Ada?
Because they believe that Ada is the right choice for a range of
courses including elementary programming, data structures, software
engineering and for more advanced courses and research in compiler
construction, real-time systems, robotics, cryptography, etc. Ada
and SPARK embody the best contemporary ideas in software technology,
and students exposed to these languages at an early stage of their
career become more skilled and principled programmers.

The event will focus on the technical advantages of these programming
languages, the tools and support available for academics, as well
provide an insight into their academic and industrial use through
real-life case studies.

--------
Schedule
--------

- 13:30-14:00 Arrival
- 14:00-14:50 "What's New in the World of Ada"
Robert Dewar, AdaCore, New York, USA
- 14:50-15:20 "Ada in Industry, an Experience Report"
Philippe Waroquiers, EUROCONTROL/CFMU, Brussels, Belgium
- 15:20-15:40 Break
- 15:40-16:10 "Ada in Research and Education, an Experience Report"
Erhard Pl�dereder, University Stuttgart, Germany
- 16:10-17:00 "SPARK - The Libre Language and Toolset for
High-Assurance Software"
Rod Chapman, Altran Praxis, Bath, UK
- 17:00-18:00 Networking drink

All presentations will be in English.

-------------
Presentations
-------------

"What's New in the World of Ada"
Robert Dewar, AdaCore, New York, USA

This talk will briefly review the history and main features of Ada,
its usage in academic and industrial projects, and will then cover
new developments in the Ada language and Ada language tools.
New features of Ada 2012 will be discussed as well as the current
status of their implementation in GNAT. The talk will also discuss
interesting new tools that are available for Ada development, including
CodePeer, the new static analysis system being developed jointly by
AdaCore and SofCheck, and Couverture, a novel approach to coverage
analysis, suitable for both certified critical systems, and mainstream
application development.

Robert Dewar is co-founder, President and CEO of AdaCore and is a
Professor of Computer Science at the Courant Institute of New York
University. He has been involved with Ada for over 20 years and, as
co-director of both the Ada-Ed projects and the GNAT project, led the
team that developed the first validated Ada compiler at NYU. Robert
was one of the authors of the requirements document for the Ada
revision, and served as a distinguished reviewer for both Ada 83 and
Ada 95. He has co-authored several renowned compilers including the
SPITBOL (SNOBOL) compiler, the Realia COBOL compiler for the PC (now
marketed by Computer Associates), and the Alsys Ada compiler. He has
also written several real time operating systems for Honeywell Inc.
Among his many publications, Robert is a principal author (with
Professor Edmond Schonberg) of GNAT, the GNU Ada Compiler. A talented
public speaker, he is frequently invited to share his thoughts in
public on computers and on open-source software.

---

"Ada in Industry, an Experience Report"
Philippe Waroquiers, EUROCONTROL/CFMU, Brussels, Belgium

The presentation will give details about how Ada is used at the CFMU
to develop ETFMS (Flow Management system) and IFPS (Flight Plan
processing system). IFPS processes all the flight plans for of the
flights departing from, landing in, or crossing Europe. ETFMS balances
the traffic load with the capacity, ensuring an efficient usage of the
airspace capacity while maintaining safety.

Philippe Waroquiers works in the Engineering division of
EUROCONTROL/CFMU. The CFMU (Central Flow Management Unit) is the
operational unit of EUROCONTROL, the European Organization for the
Safety of Air Navigation. Philippe is involved in the functional
specification, architecture and development of its mission critical
systems.

---

"Ada in Research and Education, an Experience Report"
Erhard Pl�dereder, University Stuttgart, Germany

The University of Stuttgart uses Ada as the programming language of
choice for the introductory courses in Computer Science and Software
Engineering. The talk will expand on the reasons for this decision
and the discussions about it. It will attempt to separate winning
arguments from the grist of many. It will also address issues on the
road to teaching computer science students a general understanding
of programming languages, in order to enable them to pick up future
languages easily and without prejudice. Finally, a large on-going
research project using Ada will be briefly described.

Prof. Dr. Erhard Pl�dereder is Head of the Department of Programming
Languages and Compilers at the University of Stuttgart, Germany.
Presently he is also serving as Dean of the Faculty of Computer
Science, Electrical Engineering and Information Technology. A former
chair of IFIP WG2.4 and of several ISO Rapporteur Groups, Ada-Europe
President, and long-term researcher in program analysis, he has a keen
interest in programming languages, their strengths and weaknesses, as a
teacher, a user, and a researcher.

---

"SPARK - The Libre Language and Toolset for High-Assurance Software"
Rod Chapman, Altran Praxis, Bath, UK

This presentation introduces SPARK - a language specifically designed
to support the development and verification of high-assurance software.
This presentation covers the concepts behind SPARK, the language design
and the capabilities of the verification tools. It will also cover the
uses of SPARK in teaching software engineering and will look at current
and potential research topics for the academic community, as well as
recent and on-going industrial projects.

The presenter will be Dr. Roderick Chapman of Altran Praxis. Rod has
been involved with the design of both safety- and security-critical
software with Praxis for many years, including significant
contributions to many of Praxis' key-note projects such as SHOLIS,
MULTOS CA, Tokeneer, and the development of the SPARK language and
verification tools. Rod is a well-known conference speaker. He has
presented papers, tutorials and workshops at many international events
including SSTC, NSA HCSS, and ACM SIGAda. He was the opening key-note
speaker at Ada Europe 2006. Rod is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of
the BCS, and an SEI-certified PSP Instructor.

-------------
Participation
-------------

Attendance is free, but registration is necessary.

To register, please provide your name, email address and affiliation,
either by email to <adaspark2010(a)cs.kuleuven.be>, or via the web form
at <http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/AdaEvent/registration.php>.

For directions to the Computer Science Department of the K.U.Leuven,
see <http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/AdaEvent/route.html>.

Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this announcement.
Please circulate among your contacts in education and research who
may be in the neighborhood at that time, or live or work close-by.

Dirk.Craeynest(a)cs.kuleuven.be, Ada-Belgium
(V20100206.1)
From: Yannick Duchêne Hibou57 on
On 6 fév, 18:16, d...(a)asgard.cs.kuleuven.be (Dirk Craeynest) wrote:
>            The Computer Science Department of the K.U.Leuven
>                     and the Ada-Belgium organization
>                   are pleased to announce the seminar
>
>                   T e c h n o l o g y   U p d a t e :
>                        A d a   a n d   S P A R K
>           f o r   e d u c a t i o n   a n d   r e s e a r c h
>
>        State-of-the-art programming language technology with Ada
>             Formal specifications made practical with SPARK
>
>          organized with support from AdaCore and Altran Praxis
>
>                on Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 14:00-18:00
>            at the K.U.Leuven, Department of Computer Science
>         Celestijnenlaan 200A, B-3001 Leuven (Heverlee), Belgium
>
>            http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/AdaEvent/

Nos amis Belges parlant assez bien le français, il aurait été utile de
savoir si le séminaire sera in english only ou en français également.
Je ne pose pas la question pour moi (je prévois pas de m'y rendre),
mais parce que la question me semble utile.
From: Dirk Craeynest on
In article <9d296fe8-f812-485c-9125-382d880c1f28(a)g28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Yannick Duch�ne Hibou57 <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:
[...]
>Nos amis Belges parlant assez bien le fran�ais, il aurait �t� utile de
>savoir si le s�minaire sera in english only ou en fran�ais �galement.
>Je ne pose pas la question pour moi (je pr�vois pas de m'y rendre),
>mais parce que la question me semble utile.

As this was cross-posted to various newsgroups, I respond in English.

For those not speaking French, the question was whether this seminar
will be in English only.

The answer to this question is included in the announcement that was
posted earlier today; I quote from the "Schedule" section which mentions:
"All presentations will be in English."

I hope this helps,

Dirk
Dirk.Craeynest(a)cs.kuleuven.be (for Ada-Belgium/-Europe/SIGAda/WG9 mail)