From: Mike Jones on

I've been using RXVT with no problems, but now want to use Xterm. I have
a problem though. Xterm captures keystrokes I need to run other things.

Alt+a_qwerty_key prints embelished (non-English) characters to the open
Xterm, and blocks my window manager fast_key functions.

I've given myself eyestrain trying to find out the info I'd need to alter
this, so, does anybody know how to turn off Xterm's "super_keys" and make
it "polite" like RXVT?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Whirled.Peas on
On Mon, 03 May 2010 10:53:23 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> I've been using RXVT with no problems, but now want to use Xterm. I have
> a problem though. Xterm captures keystrokes I need to run other things.
>
> Alt+a_qwerty_key prints embelished (non-English) characters to the open
> Xterm, and blocks my window manager fast_key functions.
>
> I've given myself eyestrain trying to find out the info I'd need to
> alter this, so, does anybody know how to turn off Xterm's "super_keys"
> and make it "polite" like RXVT?

Quite likely, this answer is going to prove to be of little help.

I did a bit of digging around the XTerm man page and then went searching
for a bit.

(Perhaps) relevant bits from man page:
###BEGIN MAN PAGE QUOTE###
eightBitInput (class EightBitInput)
If ''true'', Meta characters (a single-byte character combined with
the keys modifier key) input from the keyboard are presented as a single
character with the eighth bit turned on. The terminal is put into 8-bit
mode. If ''false'', Meta characters are converted into a two-character
sequence with the character itself preceded by ESC. On startup, xterm
tries to put the terminal into 7-bit mode. The metaSendsEscape resource
may override this. The default is ''true.''
Generally keyboards do not have a key labeled "Meta", but "Alt" keys
are common, and they are conventionally used for "Meta". If they were
synonymous, it would have been reasonable to name this resource
"altSendsEscape", reversing its sense. For more background on this, see
the meta function in curses.

Note that the Alt key is not necessarily the same as the Meta
modifier. xmodmap lists your key modifiers. X defines modifiers for
shift, (caps) lock and control, as well as 5 additional modifiers which
are generally used to configure key modifiers. xterm inspects the same
information to find the modifier associated with either Meta key (left or
right), and uses that key as the Meta modifier. It also looks for the
NumLock key, to recognize the modifier which is associated with that.

If your xmodmap configuration uses the same keycodes for Alt- and
Meta-keys, xterm will only see the Alt-key definitions, since those are
tested before Meta-keys. NumLock is tested first. It is important to keep
these keys distinct; otherwise some of xterm's functionality is not
available.

metaSendsEscape (class MetaSendsEscape)
If ''true'', Meta characters (a character combined with the Meta
modifier key) are converted into a two-character sequence with the
character itself preceded by ESC. This applies as well to function key
control sequences, unless xterm sees that Meta is used in your key
translations. If ''false'', Meta characters input from the keyboard are
handled according to the eightBitInput resource. The default is
''false.''
###END MAN PAGE QUOTE###

What I found after hunting on the eightbitinput string was this little
bit of instruction, though I am not clear as to whether is belongs in
your ~./inputrc file (Fedora) or your ~/.Xdefaults (Slackware)
XTerm*utf8: 1
XTerm*eightBitInput: false
XTerm*eightBitControl: false
XTerm*eightBitOutput: true

I hope this is helpful and does not simply lead to further eye strain.

--
If you try, you can envision peas on earth.
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-05-05, Whirled.Peas <peas(a)earth.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 10:53:23 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> What I found after hunting on the eightbitinput string was this little
> bit of instruction, though I am not clear as to whether is belongs in
> your ~./inputrc file (Fedora) or your ~/.Xdefaults (Slackware)
> XTerm*utf8: 1
> XTerm*eightBitInput: false
> XTerm*eightBitControl: false
> XTerm*eightBitOutput: true

it goes in ~/.Xdefaults see xrdb(1),

~/.inputrc is for configuring readline(3).

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Whirled.Peas:

> [...]
> modifier key) are converted into a two-character sequence with the
> character itself preceded by ESC. This applies as well to function key
> control sequences, unless xterm sees that Meta is used in your key
> translations. If ''false'', Meta characters input from the keyboard are
> handled according to the eightBitInput resource. The default is
> ''false.''
> ###END MAN PAGE QUOTE###
>

> What I found after hunting on the eightbitinput string was this little
> bit of instruction, though I am not clear as to whether is belongs in
> your ~./inputrc file (Fedora) or your ~/.Xdefaults (Slackware)
> XTerm*utf8: 1
> XTerm*eightBitInput: false
> XTerm*eightBitControl: false
> XTerm*eightBitOutput: true
>

> I hope this is helpful and does not simply lead to further eye strain.

It looks intriguing, and I'm certainly going to play with it.

..Xdefaults, possibly .Xresources, for Slackware. I'll find out soon. ;)

Many thanks for this.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.