From: Garrett Smith on
On 5/17/2010 11:15 PM, David Mark wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Garrett Smith wrote:

[...]
>> It's frustrating to see these bugs when I could just go down there and
>> help fix them. I think they're like two blocks from where I live.
>
> So go down there and apply for a job.

What's the use? They hire jQuery ninjas. If they knew how to recognize
someone who knows what he's doing, do you really think they would have
done that?

If I've learned anything about jQuery users, it is that none of them
(none that I've met yet) understand the pertinent technologies and that
getting them to recognize the problems with jQuery (problems that are
obvious to you and me) takes quite a long time -- much longer than would
be for me to reasonabley speak in an interview. You can't very well
explain to them the problems with the code design if the underlying
technologies are misunderstood in the first place. And if the reason for
learning jQuery was to avoid learning the pertinent technologies, then
getting them to take that step in the interview is probably not going to
be a successful endeavor.

And besides, they don't want the candidate who questions their technical
decisions; comes off as a threat.

Twitter is an incompetent mess and it's gonna stay that way.

Tony MacAlpine, OTOH, is quite competent.

Garrett
From: David Mark on
On Jun 11, 12:10 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/2010 11:15 PM, David Mark wrote:
>
> > Garrett Smith wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> >> It's frustrating to see these bugs when I could just go down there and
> >> help fix them. I think they're like two blocks from where I live.
>
> > So go down there and apply for a job.
>
> What's the use? They hire jQuery ninjas.

You can't compete with jQuery ninjas?!

> If they knew how to recognize
> someone who knows what he's doing, do you really think they would have
> done that?

It's up to you to sell yourself.

> If I've learned anything about jQuery users, it is that none of them
> (none that I've met yet) understand the pertinent technologies and that
> getting them to recognize the problems with jQuery (problems that are
> obvious to you and me) takes quite a long time -- much longer than would
> be for me to reasonabley speak in an interview.

Wrong time and place to try to convince anyone of anything (other than
to hire you). ;)

> You can't very well
> explain to them the problems with the code design if the underlying
> technologies are misunderstood in the first place.

Yes, I know. As famously demonstrated by the authors of jQuery,
Prototype, YUI, Dojo, etc., etc.

> And if the reason for
> learning jQuery was to avoid learning the pertinent technologies, then
> getting them to take that step in the interview is probably not going to
> be a successful endeavor.

It would be a misguided interview strategy. When I apply for a
contract that states they are using library xyz (and may have been for
years for all I know), do you think I tell them to stop using the
library? How would that be a means to the desired end (getting the
contract). Instead, I explain that I know all of the JS libraries and
frameworks better than virtually anyone on the planet (not in those
exact terms of course). And I've got ten tons of cites and examples
to back it up.

> And besides, they don't want the candidate who questions their technical
> decisions; comes off as a threat.

It's up to you to not come off as a threat. Start by not questioning
technical decisions in an interview.

> Twitter is an incompetent mess and it's gonna stay that way.

I have no doubt. But if I were trying to get a contract with them,
I'd keep that under my hat.

> Tony MacAlpine, OTOH, is quite competent.

Who?