From: Melody on
Hi,

Not sure this is possible but...I have a cell that has a number range in it
and based on an amount in another cell want to calculate a new range. For
example:

Initial Range: A1 = 10 - 12
Calc Amount: A2 = 5
Final Range: A3 = 50 - 60

I think I can get the results by concatenating two formulas I'm just not
sure how to enter the original numbers (A1) or how to distinguish between the
two in the final formula (A3)

Using Excel 2003. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
From: Fred Smith on
I would put the range in two different cells (eg A1 and B1). Then the
multiplication is easy. If you want to display the concatenated range, use:
=a1&" - "&b1

Regards,
Fred

From: Gary''s Student on
Try this:

=A2*(--LEFT(A1,2)) & " - " & A2*(--RIGHT(A1,2))
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

From: Bernard Liengme on
Using 10 - 12 is going to be messy - Excel will be over helpful and turn it
into a date (10- Dec, or 12-Nov in USA)
If you can live with entering, for example: 10 to 12
Then this formula: =LEFT(A1,2)*A2&" to "&RIGHT(A1,2)*A2
will return: 50 to 60
Limitation: must have two digits on each side of the "to"

If you remember to format the A1 cell as Text then type 10 - 12, Excel will
no make it a date. Then you can use
=LEFT(A1,FIND("- ",A1)-1)*A2&" - "&MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,10)*A2
to get the required output (only limitation is that the last number has less
than 10 digits)
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Bernard Liengme on
Since we are multiplying by A2, the double negation is not needed to coerce
the text to number.
best wishes
Bernard