From: Sigrid Carrera on
Hello Michael,

2010/7/16 Michael Taylor <mhtaylor(a)pobox.com>:
> Apologies: not sure if this email to appropriate destination.

You found a correct mailing list. :)
But please note, that future questions about how to use OpenOffice.org
should be send to users(a)openoffice.org.
The list you wrote to just now is mainly used for discussions about
OpenOffice.org.

> At present still using Office 97 and testing Open Office 2.3.0.

May I ask, why you want to use such an old version? If I remember
correctly, those old versions had security issues, that are fixed with
the newer ones. The most recent version is 3.2.1.

> Two wishes:
>
> 1.  Short cut to easy change font size on point at a time when key held down.
> In Word 97, Ctrl '[' and Ctrl ']'  do this.  Very useful for changing paragraph mark and visually making quick change in paragraph spacing..

Yeah, I have to admit, that I missed this feature too, when I changed
from Word to OOo. You should be able to create your own shortcut for
this command. Have a look at "Tools > Customise" (or something
similar, I have only a German version).

> 2.  How to disable automatic numbering for the whole document - or off by default.

I am not sure, if the following does what you want, but try it please:
Go to "Tools > Autocorrection" and then go to the tab "options". There
is an entry, that says "use numbering". This is checked by default,
try to uncheck it.

I hope, this will help you.

Sigrid

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org