From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:53:14 -0700 (PDT), C Egernet
<egernet(a)hushmail.com> wrote:

>What are the relative merits of diode-connecting a BJT by shorting
>base and collector (using B-E junction) versus shorting base and
>emitter (C-B junction)?
>
>Na�vely, I have assumed that one always uses the B-E junction but then
>I saw this post from s.e.d by Phil Hobbs:
>
>> BFT25A C-B junctions are at least as good as 2N4117As as diodes.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
>What gives?
>

>Chris

Most diodes-sold-as-diodes, like BAV99 and 1N4148 and such, leak
nanoamps, and the glass ones are photosensitive.

I took data on using BFT25A C-B junctions as diodes. They are
fantastic. I measured about 20 fA reverse leakage at a few volts, log
linearity from 1 pA to 10s of mA, and about half a pF. I didn't try
the B-E junction, because it will zener at a few volts so isn't as
generally useful. The measurements are tedious.

It leaks less than a PAD-1, has much lower forward resistance and
capacitance, and costs a lot less. You can hardly buy a diode that
good.

One exception is the Central CMPD6001S, a dual SOT-23 that leaks about
50 fA at -5 volts and room temp. It's probably a bigger junction than
the BFT25, because it leaks more and is more like 2 pF. That's two
diodes for about 16 cents

John

From: Grant on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:35:30 -0700, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:53:14 -0700 (PDT), C Egernet
><egernet(a)hushmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What are the relative merits of diode-connecting a BJT by shorting
>>base and collector (using B-E junction) versus shorting base and
>>emitter (C-B junction)?
>>
>>Naïvely, I have assumed that one always uses the B-E junction but then
>>I saw this post from s.e.d by Phil Hobbs:
>>
>>> BFT25A C-B junctions are at least as good as 2N4117As as diodes.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>
>>What gives?
>>

>>Chris
>
>Most diodes-sold-as-diodes, like BAV99 and 1N4148 and such, leak
>nanoamps, and the glass ones are photosensitive.
>
>I took data on using BFT25A C-B junctions as diodes. They are
>fantastic. I measured about 20 fA reverse leakage at a few volts, log
>linearity from 1 pA to 10s of mA, and about half a pF. I didn't try
>the B-E junction, because it will zener at a few volts so isn't as
>generally useful. The measurements are tedious.

Does E connect anywhere? Or leave open?

Grant.

From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:09:45 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:35:30 -0700, John Larkin <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:53:14 -0700 (PDT), C Egernet
>><egernet(a)hushmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What are the relative merits of diode-connecting a BJT by shorting
>>>base and collector (using B-E junction) versus shorting base and
>>>emitter (C-B junction)?
>>>
>>>Na�vely, I have assumed that one always uses the B-E junction but then
>>>I saw this post from s.e.d by Phil Hobbs:

>>>What gives?
>>>

>>>Chris
>>
>>Most diodes-sold-as-diodes, like BAV99 and 1N4148 and such, leak
>>nanoamps, and the glass ones are photosensitive.
>>
>>I took data on using BFT25A C-B junctions as diodes. They are
>>fantastic. I measured about 20 fA reverse leakage at a few volts, log
>>linearity from 1 pA to 10s of mA, and about half a pF. I didn't try
>>the B-E junction, because it will zener at a few volts so isn't as
>>generally useful. The measurements are tedious.
>
>Does E connect anywhere? Or leave open?

I'll leave it for Larkin to pontificate, then I'll say :-)

>Grant.
>>
>>It leaks less than a PAD-1, has much lower forward resistance and
>>capacitance, and costs a lot less. You can hardly buy a diode that
>>good.
>>
>>One exception is the Central CMPD6001S, a dual SOT-23 that leaks about
>>50 fA at -5 volts and room temp. It's probably a bigger junction than
>>the BFT25, because it leaks more and is more like 2 pF. That's two
>>diodes for about 16 cents
>>
>>John

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%
From: C Egernet on
Many thanks to Jasen Betts, George Herold, whit3rd and John Larkin. I
learned something useful.

Chris
From: George Herold on
On Jul 8, 8:35 pm, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:53:14 -0700 (PDT), C Egernet
>

> <eger...(a)hushmail.com> wrote:
> >What are the relative merits of diode-connecting a BJT by shorting
> >base and collector (using B-E junction) versus shorting base and
> >emitter (C-B junction)?
>
> >Naïvely, I have assumed that one always uses the B-E junction but then
> >I saw this post from s.e.d by Phil Hobbs:
>
> >> BFT25A C-B junctions are at least as good as 2N4117As as diodes.
>
> >> Cheers
>
> >> Phil Hobbs
>
> >What gives?
>
> >Chris
>
> Most diodes-sold-as-diodes, like BAV99 and 1N4148 and such, leak
> nanoamps, and the glass ones are photosensitive.
>
> I took data on using BFT25A C-B junctions as diodes. They are
> fantastic. I measured about 20 fA reverse leakage at a few volts, log
> linearity from 1 pA to 10s of mA, and about half a pF. I didn't try
> the B-E junction, because it will zener at a few volts so isn't as
> generally useful. The measurements are tedious.

That's great! It would be useful as a over-voltage protection 'diode'
on a low noise front end. Any idea how much current it can handle.
Seems like if used as over-voltage protection you might want to short
the E and B and get a bit of current gain.

George H.