From: as on
US moves to repeal sanctions law

http://www.thestandard.co.zw

Wednesday, 11 August 2010 15:30

A United States senator, Jim Inhofe, who is also a member of the
Senate's
Foreign Relations Committee, on Thursday introduced a bill to repeal
sanctions imposed on President Robert Mugabe and his cronies.

The new bill called the Zimbabwe Sanctions Repeal Act of 2010 seeks to
lift
the sanctions imposed in 2001 to stop alleged human rights violations
by the
Zanu PF government.

It also seeks to restore economic prosperity and aid the nation's
transition
to democracy, according to a draft seen by The Standard.
Inhofe said he commended the efforts of the power-sharing government in
reducing inflation and improving the GDP and basic government services
like
health care, education and transportation.

"It is my hope that my legislation will help Zimbabwe return to being
called
the "Breadbasket of Africa" and continue on the road to democracy." he
said.

The bill says the Zimbabwe Democracy and Economic Recovery Act of 2001
was
burdening the government of national unity (GNU) and must be repealed
in
order to fully restore economic vibrancy and help Zimbabwe's transition
democracy.

The US economic sanctions were imposed against Zimbabwe as a result of
Mugabe's oppressive leadership and fiscally irresponsible programmes
that
caused the collapse of the economy.

The sanctions directed the US to oppose and vote against any extension
of
loans, credit, or guarantees to the Zimbabwe government as well as
cancellation of Harare's debts to the US or any international financial
institution.

Inhofe says the formation of the inclusive government in 2008 by
Mugabe's
Zanu PF and the two MDC formations has seen the economy recovering and
democratic freedoms re-emerging in the southern African country.

He said since the appointment of Finance minister Tendai Biti, the
country's
economy had seen remarkable recovery characterised by the reduction of
inflation from a high of 15 trillion percent in 2008 to 5,1% one year
later.

Since the formation of the inclusive government the country's GDP
improved,
increasing from 14,4% in 2008 to 3,7% in 2009.
The country also adopted multiple currencies to ensure easy economic
transitions.

Mugabe is accused of causing Zimbabwe's economic collapse after his
supporters and war veterans led the invasion of productive white-owned
farms, where most of the foreign currency was being generated.

Information Minister Webster Shamu welcomed the US Senator's move
saying the
sanctions were not supposed to be there in the first place.
He said the sanctions were illegal, not targeted and caused a lot of
suffering to ordinary Zimbabweans.

"I have not seen the text of the bill but what I can say is that there
was
no justification for imposing them in the first place because they are
not
smart nor are they targeted," said Shamu.

"We are in our current problems because of sanctions imposed on us by
the
West."
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai's spokesperson James Maridadi said
their
position on the sanctions would be made known after they study the
bill.
"We have heard about its existence and only after we have seen and
studied
it can we give an informed comment," said Maridadi.

After being debated in the Senate, the bill is expected go to the House
of
Representatives, where it will go through three reading stages. After
passing through both the Senate and Congress it will be sent to the
American
president for his signature.

Political analyst John Makumbe said chances that the bill will be
passed
through both houses were very high.
"Its changes are very good because it started with 36 senators
supporting
it," said Makumbe, a University of Zimbabwe political science lecturer.
"Normally, a bill starts with three or four supporters and gains
support
with time which is different from this one."

He expected the bill to pass both houses in a period of one month.

The Southern African Development Community and the African Union (AU)
have
also called for an end to the restrictions imposed by the European
Union and
US.

BY CAIPHAS CHIMHETE