From: Poppe on
Hello

I've had some problems with my 3G USB Dongle.

Tried with different DELL computers, different Dongles (similar model) and
with different windows xp home service packs (1 and 3 atleast).

The connection and PC first work fine, can work fine even for days. But for
some reason the PC freezes up by itself sometimes. If i remove the USB
Dongle, the freezing stops immediately.

I've updated to the latest software drivers. There is no firewall blocking
the connection and i can't find any software issue that could cause this.

Any ideas for such behaviour?

From: SC Tom on

"Poppe" <Poppe(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I've had some problems with my 3G USB Dongle.
>
> Tried with different DELL computers, different Dongles (similar model) and
> with different windows xp home service packs (1 and 3 atleast).
>
> The connection and PC first work fine, can work fine even for days. But
> for
> some reason the PC freezes up by itself sometimes. If i remove the USB
> Dongle, the freezing stops immediately.
>
> I've updated to the latest software drivers. There is no firewall blocking
> the connection and i can't find any software issue that could cause this.
>
> Any ideas for such behaviour?

Check with the dongle manufacturer? Sounds more like a problem with it than
with XP. Look on their forums for others experiencing the same or similar
problem.
--
SC Tom

From: shawn on
I would agree. Sounds like a Dongle issue. If it's a major manufacturer,
like maybe it comes from Verizon they might have good support or forums.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Poppe wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've had some problems with my 3G USB Dongle.
>
> Tried with different DELL computers, different Dongles (similar model) and
> with different windows xp home service packs (1 and 3 atleast).
>
> The connection and PC first work fine, can work fine even for days. But for
> some reason the PC freezes up by itself sometimes. If i remove the USB
> Dongle, the freezing stops immediately.
>
> I've updated to the latest software drivers. There is no firewall blocking
> the connection and i can't find any software issue that could cause this.
>
> Any ideas for such behaviour?

I have an USB-to-serial port converter cable, which does that to me
sometimes too. But removing the cable doesn't return the PC to
responsiveness again, not right away anyways. The PC regains
responsiveness usually after several minutes, maybe half-hour sometimes,
sometimes never only a reboot works. I think for some reason the entire
USB chain gets reset and everything is rediscovered from scratch by the
OS. I don't know, I can't confirm it because my keyboard and mouse don't
work anymore either, since they are on USB too. :-)

Yousuf Khan

Pages: 1
Prev: usb 2.0
Next: Orientation of monitor picture?