From: Dhaval Giani on
Heya,

Admittedly I am using an older kernel, but I was wondering if a USB
device can get different product ids on being plugged in at different
times. I have one of these nice USB modems to connect to the internet
.. It is one of these huawei devices. Now, most of the times, it gets
detected with vendor id 0x12d1 and product id 0x1446. In this mode, on
whatever reason, I am unable to use to connect to the internet.
However when it is detected as the product id 0x140b, I get
ttyUSB[0-2] which then connects very nicely via both wvdial and
networkmanager to the internet. Now obviously, I would like for the
device to get detected as 0x140b each time, as opposed to me pulling
it out and inserting it back in till does get detected as 0x140b :-).

So my question is,

1. Is it possible for the same device to get different product ids at
different times
2. If so, how do I possibly get it to detect the id I want, as opposed
to playing a game of chance.

I am currently using the Fedora 13 default kernel.

Thanks,
Dhaval

(I would copy linux-usb if I knew the mailing list id, but as I am on
a slow GPRS connection, which is quite flaky right now, I would like
to send this out right now. Please copy that list if it would help!)
From: Greg KH on
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 05:08:00PM +0200, Dhaval Giani wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Admittedly I am using an older kernel, but I was wondering if a USB
> device can get different product ids on being plugged in at different
> times. I have one of these nice USB modems to connect to the internet
> . It is one of these huawei devices. Now, most of the times, it gets
> detected with vendor id 0x12d1 and product id 0x1446. In this mode, on
> whatever reason, I am unable to use to connect to the internet.
> However when it is detected as the product id 0x140b, I get
> ttyUSB[0-2] which then connects very nicely via both wvdial and
> networkmanager to the internet. Now obviously, I would like for the
> device to get detected as 0x140b each time, as opposed to me pulling
> it out and inserting it back in till does get detected as 0x140b :-).
>
> So my question is,
>
> 1. Is it possible for the same device to get different product ids at
> different times

Yes, it's quite common for some devices to do this.

> 2. If so, how do I possibly get it to detect the id I want, as opposed
> to playing a game of chance.

Look at the usb-modeswitch program, it's what you want to control this.

> (I would copy linux-usb if I knew the mailing list id, but as I am on
> a slow GPRS connection, which is quite flaky right now, I would like
> to send this out right now. Please copy that list if it would help!)

In the future, it's the linux-usb(a)vger.kernel.org list, also available in
the MAINTAINERS file.

thanks,

greg k-h