From: Greg KH on
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:16:33PM +0200, Michal Nazarewicz wrote:
> The iManufatcurer, iProduct and iSerialNumber composite module
> parameters are only used when the gadget driver registers
> strings for manufacturer, product and serial number. If the
> gadget never bothered to set corresponding fields in USB
> device descriptors those module parameters are ignored.
>
> This patch makes the parameters even if the strings ID have
> not been assigned. It also changes the way IDs are
> overridden -- what IDs are overridden is now saved in
> usb_composite_dev structure -- which makes it unnecessary to
> modify the string tables the way previous code did.

David, do these look better?

And they are not -stable material, no matter what, sorry, so you can
stop copying stable(a)kernel.org on them.

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Michał Nazarewicz on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:46:30 +0200, Greg KH <greg(a)kroah.com> wrote:
> And they are not -stable material, no matter what, sorry, so you can
> stop copying stable(a)kernel.org on them.

True enough. I probably haven't given enough thought copying the Cc.
Sorry about that. Removing the line from the patch should solve the
issue nicely. ;)

--
Best regards, _ _
+----[mina86*mina86.com]---[mina86*jabber.org]----ooO--(_)--Ooo--
From: Greg KH on
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:16:33PM +0200, Michal Nazarewicz wrote:
> Also, Greg, it's more complex then the previous version so I leave it
> up to you whether it'll get into the .35. If you decide to include it
> for .36 rather then .35 consider adding the patches at the beginning
> as they won't apply at the end of the queue.

I've just queued up the last one for the .36 merge window, and I already
had 2 others in my tree for .36, so that's good.

I'll wait to get David's approval for your first patch before applying
it.

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Michał Nazarewicz on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 21:05:33 +0200, David Brownell <david-b(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
> NAK. You're still hard-wiring an un-managed serial number.

Uh? I'm not. Current code overrides the serial number only when the
iSerial module parameter is given:

+ if (iSerialNumber)
+ cdev->serial_override =
+ override_id(cdev, &cdev->desc.iSerialNumber);

and when host requests string which ID is saved as a overridden for
serial number the module parameter is taken.

+ else if (cdev->serial_override == id)
+ str = iSerialNumber;

From: Michał Nazarewicz on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:26:05 +0200, David Brownell <david-b(a)pacbell.net> wrote:

>>> NAK. You're still hard-wiring an un-managed
>>> serial number.

>> Uh? I'm not.

> Are too. There's a line assigning such an
> un-managed number. Get rid of it instead of
> denying its existence (and then justifying it).

Could you point that line to me, please? I fail to see it in this
patch... And it wasn't my intention to allow unmanaged serial number
with this patch, so if there is such code then I must have missed it
somehow.