From: Seamus J. Wilson on
I bought a win7 machine because my old but reliable XP was too slow. Found
that many of my peripherals, especially the cable modem, were not compatible
with win7 and so it will go back.
I have thought about a new mainboard and processor for the old machine. If
I put the new mainboard in the old XP machine will it work effectively? Is
this a sensible approach?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

From: Stefan Patric on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 07:14:16 -0700, Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

> I bought a win7 machine because my old but reliable XP was too slow.
> Found that many of my peripherals, especially the cable modem, were not
> compatible with win7 and so it will go back.
> I have thought about a new mainboard and processor for the old machine.
> If I put the new mainboard in the old XP machine will it work
> effectively? Is this a sensible approach?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

In what respects "too slow"? What do you do with it? What are the specs
on the old machine--age, motherboard, cpu & speed, amount of RAM, size &
speed of hard drive(s), etc.

Sometimes, new life can be breathed into an old machine just by a good
spring cleaning and/or minimal hardware upgrades. Also, a reinstall of
the OS could help, too.

Stef
From: dgk on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:23:14 GMT, Stefan Patric <not(a)this.address.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2010 07:14:16 -0700, Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
>
>> I bought a win7 machine because my old but reliable XP was too slow.
>> Found that many of my peripherals, especially the cable modem, were not
>> compatible with win7 and so it will go back.
>> I have thought about a new mainboard and processor for the old machine.
>> If I put the new mainboard in the old XP machine will it work
>> effectively? Is this a sensible approach?
>> Thank you,
>> Seamus J. Wilson
>
>In what respects "too slow"? What do you do with it? What are the specs
>on the old machine--age, motherboard, cpu & speed, amount of RAM, size &
>speed of hard drive(s), etc.
>
>Sometimes, new life can be breathed into an old machine just by a good
>spring cleaning and/or minimal hardware upgrades. Also, a reinstall of
>the OS could help, too.
>
>Stef

And why would a cable modem not work with Win7? Mine just plugs into
the router and that plugs into the ethernet port of the computer. But
even if it went right into the computer, it's still just an ethernet
connection. Maybe we're talking about a serial port dial up modem? I
don't think any new MBs come with serial (or parallel) ports so if you
have a parallel printer that isn't going to work.

A new MB and CPU will definitely make an old machine faster, since
it's effectively a new machine, but new MBs usually need different
power connectors so you'll likely need a new power supply. If the old
MB wasn't ATX (that's going back a bit) a new MB won't even fit in the
case. Plus, most new MBs only come with one IDE connector, so if you
have two hard drives and a DVD drive then you're out of luck.

Depending on the version of XP, you might need to buy a copy since an
OEM version might not work on a new machine - I'm not sure about that
though, but if all the poster has is a rescue disk that reinstalls the
old drivers and everything, it's going to be a mess on a new MB.