From: jango28 on
Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Windows XP MCE 2005 running.
Recently I had to to do an in-place upgrade as I was getting BSOD on trying
to enter safe mode. Everything went on fine without a glitch.
But now I do see a performance hit on my laptop's performance. It takes
longer to boot and hand over cursor control after booting.
After much research, I observed the following:
- In Device Manager, for Primary IDE channel, I have the 'DMA mode, if
available' option set to true. For device 0 it displays available mode as
'Multi-word DMA mode 2' and for device 1 it says 'Not applicable'
- In Device Manager, for HDD properties, it says 'Location 0'. For my CD/DVD
drive, it says 'Location 0(0)'. I just have one HDD and one CD/DVD drive.
- I ran Nero infotool utility and it reports CD/DVD drive running on primary
channel and HDD on secondary channel. Device Manager reports no secondary
channel though.

Please let me know if above behavior is correct; if not, how to fix it.
From: Andy on
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:18:02 -0800, jango28
<jango28(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Windows XP MCE 2005 running.
>Recently I had to to do an in-place upgrade as I was getting BSOD on trying
>to enter safe mode. Everything went on fine without a glitch.
>But now I do see a performance hit on my laptop's performance. It takes
>longer to boot and hand over cursor control after booting.
>After much research, I observed the following:
>- In Device Manager, for Primary IDE channel, I have the 'DMA mode, if
>available' option set to true. For device 0 it displays available mode as
>'Multi-word DMA mode 2' and for device 1 it says 'Not applicable'
>- In Device Manager, for HDD properties, it says 'Location 0'. For my CD/DVD
>drive, it says 'Location 0(0)'. I just have one HDD and one CD/DVD drive.
>- I ran Nero infotool utility and it reports CD/DVD drive running on primary
>channel and HDD on secondary channel. Device Manager reports no secondary
>channel though.
>
>Please let me know if above behavior is correct; if not, how to fix it.

For the CD/DVD interface, Multi-word DMA mode 2 is correct. For the
hard drive interface, the mode should be Ultra DMA.