From: FromTheRafters on
"Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> Ultrasurf and Freegate are sometimes mentioned together as software
> designed to allow users to get around web-surfing and blocking
> strategies as performed by some countries (China, various arab
> countries, etc).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegate
>
> It seems that this is a grey area for AV/AM software. On one hand,
> you
> want to detect legit threats. On the other, you want to help thwart
> web-censorship by not flagging this software that does some very
> peculiar and suspicious things.
>
> It's not clear to me that this software will do what I'm looking for -
> which is to view rights-restricted streaming / multimedia content
> across
> certain national borders...
>
> If this is true - that most of this catagory of software is _really_
> designed to get around the "great firewall of china", would it, say,
> allow someone in China to access and watch Hulu videos?
>
> Or just allow them to access the New York Times or CNN.com or the BBC?

Either.

....but then, you would have to agree with this (would you? - I don't
think so). :o)

http://www.ultrareach.com/privacy_en.htm

I especially enjoyed the part where you're expected to keep up with
changes in the privacy policy itself (recursion?).

From: Virus Guy on
ASCII wrote:

> If SteveTX is San Antonio Stalker Steve of Bexar County, he's
> probably adhering to responsible disclosure of his lack of
> knowledge.

It has been mentioned by some that SteveTX has some relationship with
xerobank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeroBank_Browser

We might be talking about Steve Topletz here.

It has been mentioned that these various anonymizers would be
competition for SteveTX / xerobank, hence his remarks.

See also:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20299&PN=1

"While I certainly appreciate letting us know there are still some free
ones out there, the free VPN/Anonymous surfing world seems to be
drowning in snake oil, and, in the case of Ultrasurf, danger."

While this may not be a problem for Americans accessing the internet
within the USA, a growing catagory of malware will target Canadians,
Britain, Western Europe and Australia as internet users from those
countries resort to these various applications that promises access to
Hulu and other multimedia files.

From within the US, those that want to torrent multi-media files with
anonymity will increasingly resort to these applications - naturally for
different reasons...
From: Ant on
"FromTheRafters" wrote:

> "Virus Guy" wrote:
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237184
>>
>> How can a piece of software evade exact analysis and catagorization by
>> so many people?
>>
>> Note particularly the comments made by SteveTX (he started the
>> thread).
>
> Aside from them not knowing what a virus is, Steve may be adhering to
> responsible disclosure in his refusal to comment further.

Apparently he was waiting until after he had made a Blackhat 2009
presentation.

"UltraSurf and Gtunnel and likely all products put out by the Global
Internet Freedom Consortium / Internet Freedom.org, are infact secret
trojans. They give you a 1-hop proxy but use your system to launch
attacks against financial institutions, government and energy
websites, education, etc"...

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1514487&postcount=106

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms but I'm finding the lack of
comment about this by the security community a bit strange.

From: FromTheRafters on
"Ant" <not(a)home.today> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" wrote:
>
>> "Virus Guy" wrote:
>>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237184
>>>
>>> How can a piece of software evade exact analysis and catagorization
>>> by
>>> so many people?
>>>
>>> Note particularly the comments made by SteveTX (he started the
>>> thread).
>>
>> Aside from them not knowing what a virus is, Steve may be adhering to
>> responsible disclosure in his refusal to comment further.
>
> Apparently he was waiting until after he had made a Blackhat 2009
> presentation.
>
> "UltraSurf and Gtunnel and likely all products put out by the Global
> Internet Freedom Consortium / Internet Freedom.org, are infact secret
> trojans. They give you a 1-hop proxy but use your system to launch
> attacks against financial institutions, government and energy
> websites, education, etc"...
>
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1514487&postcount=106
>
> Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms but I'm finding the lack of
> comment about this by the security community a bit strange.

I thought the same thing. However, I didn't download the "proof" file
offered up in another post because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have
understood it (or believed it) enough to form a conclusion for myself.

"Suspicious" is good enough for me (and that privacy statement is a work
of art).