From: Bruce Esquibel on
Mark Hansen <meh(a)nospam.com> wrote:

> Is there a port range which I can use for my smtp server which they
> are likely not to have blocked?

Odd are, they probably blocked everything and left certain ports open.

If 993 is open for secure ssl, and you two only use that, I'd try 143
which is the normal imap port.

If you aren't using pop3, 110 and 995 could be open also.

Also if you aren't running a secure web server, 443 is another candidate.

-bruce
bje(a)ripco.com
From: Mark Hansen on
On 3/15/2010 10:04 AM, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
> Mark Hansen <meh(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a port range which I can use for my smtp server which they
>> are likely not to have blocked?
>
> Odd are, they probably blocked everything and left certain ports open.
>
> If 993 is open for secure ssl, and you two only use that, I'd try 143
> which is the normal imap port.
>
> If you aren't using pop3, 110 and 995 could be open also.
>
> Also if you aren't running a secure web server, 443 is another candidate.
>
> -bruce
> bje(a)ripco.com

Thanks, None of those ports that were available would work. It seemed
they were all getting blocked (I'm using 143 and 443, so I wasn't able
to try those). I tried 588, 589, 994, 995 and 110.

What if we used a port above the privileged area (1024 or whatever it
is)? Is that possible?
From: Thomas Laus on
On 2010-03-15, Mark Hansen <meh(a)NOSPAM.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/2010 10:04 AM, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
>> Mark Hansen <meh(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a port range which I can use for my smtp server which they
>>> are likely not to have blocked?
>>
>> Odd are, they probably blocked everything and left certain ports open.
>>
> Thanks, None of those ports that were available would work. It seemed
> they were all getting blocked (I'm using 143 and 443, so I wasn't able
> to try those). I tried 588, 589, 994, 995 and 110.
>
> What if we used a port above the privileged area (1024 or whatever it
> is)? Is that possible?

The current best practice for writing firewall rules is to deny
everything and only open very few ports for internet traffic to and from
the network, especially for a K-12 system. It looks like you have tried
all of the 'normal' ones and you are probably out of luck.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1